Playing With Fire

His name was Fredrick Kurt. He showed up around here almost a year ago, the new kid in town. Is he good looking? Oh, definitely. I thought he was the finest piece of ass I’ve ever seen, and probably ever will. The second he even stepped a foot in this place I knew he was going to different. He was the tidal wave this small, static town needed. He was the avalanche that just fell on top of everyone that came into his vicinity.

The thing is, that morning at the high school we were told we’d have this new kid. I had felt weird the entire week. My senses clogged up, my powers either weakened one second or supercharged the next. Random windows would crack in classes, lights burst when I walked by them at night. I moved to this town years ago to lay low. I’ve never had a problem with control but now, I had no clue what was happening.

Everyone in the school was talking about him. What does he look like? Where does he come from? Would he join the football team or the rugby? These questions were asked before anyone even saw him. I felt him around though. It was the last class of the day when he decided to show himself.

A knock echoed and the sub put down the book she was reading. The door opened to reveal him and the lights flickered. No one noticed that. I did, and he might’ve but he was wearing sunglasses so I couldn’t tell. The second he opened that door, I knew he was like me. We were the same, but, oh were we different. With every breath, he exhaled this raw power that either made my skin want to shrink in on itself and hide or revel in the power and drink it up.

He had no bag, no caution. It practically made me want to scream. He walked into that classroom that afternoon and I hated it. His half smile made my pulse thicken and thin, convulsing through my veins. His hands were in his jeans pocket and he shot his eyebrows up, coming out from under the sunglasses. His skew smile showed his teeth now.

“The name’s Fredrick.” He said without waiting for the teacher to say anything.  He then walked by everyone and sat one desk diagonally behind me to the right. His feet stuck into the aisle and he leant back on his chair, his sunglasses still shading his eyes.

The sub cleared her throat and mumbled ‘okay class, go back to doing whatever you were’ and sat back down, picking up the fake book cover concealing her erotica novel. The rest of the class went by excruciatingly slowly. All around me chatter, a slow rumble, started up. The girls whispered to themselves and the guys sized him up. Then slowly, they started talking to him and he replied in a loud voice, one that shot bullets down my spine.

Two minutes of the class left and by then the entire room was have a conversation with Fredrick. The topics had ranged from ‘is it okay to eat fish if you’re vegetarian’ to ‘where’s the best place you’ve ever had sex’. And the entire time I felt his eyes on my back.

The bell rang and I stood up. I had to get away. His aura itched mine and I felt like I couldn’t breathe. Around me the people filed out of the class and I turned the corner to leave the building. That’s when I realized his power wasn’t going away. I stopped and turned around to look at him. He smiled again and then bit his lip. His sunglasses snugly on his nose.

“You’re in a hurry.” He told me. I looked him up and down. His hair was the right mix of tousled and neat; a blend of golden and dark mahogany. His teeth was white and seemed to blind me.

“It’s Friday.” I said, shifting my backpack more onto my shoulders. I felt the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. He was so close to me and I couldn’t breathe anymore. I saw his smile widen.

“Indeed it is.”

He took a step closer to me so that our noses almost touched. I felt my stomach turn fire hot and electricity shocked my fingertips. He slid his sunglasses down his nose a little, so that almond eyes stared at me. They flashed jade and he pushed them back up his nose. At the same time, an open locker door nearby slammed shut and he grinned so wide I thought he’d crack in half.