Chapter 4

And something more to dive into this weekend...

Than you to everyone reading and voting and commenting and sharing....

Still looking for a book cover so if you have any ideas..hit me up it will be much appreciated..

Happy reading....xoxox..

CHARLES had huffed and puffed all through the carriage ride, it had tired everyone even Madison. She knew she had no place to speak openly to him and so endured it. The Duchess was right. He was a bore who believed he deserved the best that life could give him without having to lift a finger.

James had sat in complete silence keeping his gaze on the passing greenery while the Duchess, who chose to be unaware of her son's behaviors spoke animatedly about Abercom. She described the home, the lands, the horses and the numerous ways one can entertain themselves.

She spoke of her husband and Madison noticed Charles roll his eyes at the mention of his father's name. James remained the passive man he was not once wincing through his mother's stories.

They had made a stop every night to rest the horses and refresh themselves with a good night's sleep. Madison could hardly believe her life. This was the first time she had been away from the prison many called her home. She felt relief but there was something else there, longing to go back. She had become used to the pain and the torture and the nightmares and now that she suffered them no more, she longed for them to come back. This is what the books talked about. The attachment to what hurt you, when you know no other way to live.

It was the fifth day, the Duchess had promised they were soon at Abercom. They had breakfast in complete silence, Madison suspected the Duchess had tired of being the only one contributing to making the journey entertaining. They boarded the carriage once again, this time, everyone was left to their own thoughts. James kept his eyes on the passing trees and bushes but from the corner of his eye he noticed Charles looking at Madison hungrily. It was clear he would wait not a minute when they arrived to put her under his charm.

She, however, looked like a woman who knew what advances are but she did not give a glance. She had not looked at Charles since they began the journey. Her eyes had stayed focused on his mother. Her expressions every bit a polished when she gasped at the horrendous things his mother chose to say.

It was peaceful for Madison to just sit there and admire what nature she could. She had never traveled with Baron. They had lived in London and never left. He preferred the proximity to his father. Madison let out a scoff, all eyes turned to her. Her cheeks turned red when she realized she had made the sound out loud.

'Whatever is the matter dear?' Justina asked.

'Nothing at all, I...I simply had something stuck in my throat.'

Justina looked at her intently, Madison hoped she would let it pass but she pressed on, 'I am a woman Madison and many a times my husband inspired such a sound from me.'

'Mother!' James' voice thundered through the carriage, 'we are in company, please.

She shot him a warning glance before turning back to Madison who was now praying the ground would open and swallow her whole. 'Really, I believe it is the air. My lungs are not quite used to being out of London.'

'We are now your family dear,' this earned a look from James, which she respectfully ignored, 'you may feel the need to unburden your chest. I advise you do, it may become rather heavy.'

James dropped his head, in clear embarrassment. Madison could have not turned any redder if she tried. Charles who was now very attentive, his eyes falling comfortably on Madison's chest. He seemed to be the only one of the four enjoying this conversation. His green eyes dancing with excitement.