Kate and Nate a Fractured Fairytale

Once upon a time, in a land that May or may not be far away, a young couple decided to ruin their twin children's lives by naming them Kate and Nate. They were an almost perfect family of four before tragedy struck and took their mother. Then it all went downhill like Jack and Jill.

In the dark cloak of night, Kate stealthy crept through the new Mansion. After their mother had disappeared, father decided to do some renovations. As she crawled towards her fathers bedroom, Kate was carful not to make a squeak while her brother was in a peaceful slumber.

Something felt off to Kate. Like it was unusually quiet in their mansion. Father enjoyed being independent so the mansion was guard and maid less, so Kate couldn't just ask someone else to check on it. Besides, her intuition was telling her this was something she had to check on. The last time she ignored her intuition... the very thought sent shivers down her spine.

"Father?" Kate yelled while whispering as she fully opened the large white door before her.

When no response came, a large knot settled itself in her stomach.

"Father!" she yelled urgently as she stormed into his large bedroom and began to ruthlessly search the elegant room.

After no signs if him were displayed, Kate continued her frantic search throughout the mansion. By the time Kate had ran out of rooms to search, and was back to her and Nate's bedroom, he was standing in the doorway with a large wooden baseball bat in hand, ready to swing.

"Honestly, Kate. If you were going to destroy the house again, in search for your stuffed bacon you could have let me know." Nate groggily grumbled while plopping himself into bed.

Oinkster was Kate's pig Pillow-pet or 'stuffed bacon'.

"No Nate! Father is missing!" Kate all but screamed at him. She was stressing out and was a tad overwhelmed.

"Not again." Nate barely whispered as his face paled dramatically.

"Search again. There has to be at least one flaw. One mistake. One clue."

This had happened before. Their mother went missing on a stunning summer night just like this one. Being perfectly happy and healthy, there was not one reason to leave her family and not one clue as to where she disappeared to. She had been taken, for reasons that remain unknown. That is precisely what had happened to their father, not hours ago.

"How well did you search with the lights off, Kate?" Nate's joking attempt to ease the dire situation. Always the jokester.

Kate grumbled under her breath, while fuming on the inside. 'How could I have slept through that?' She kept asking herself.

When searching through their lost fathers bedroom once more, this time with the lights on, Nate had discovered foot prints engraved into the carpet. They appeared to be heading towards their fathers balcony. The balcony had an astonishing view of the majestic Black Forest facing the direction the sun rises. The Black Forest. That is where they had taken the twins father.

"The prints appear fresh. If we run, we might be able to catch up to them." Kate declared.

After a simple nod of Nate's head, Kate took her brother's hand, and jumped off the balcony's marble banister. Father had trained her and Nate after their mother's disappearance, should someone be taken again. This was always Kate's favourite part of the jump. The air all around her. The sensation of flying. The feeling of freedom. All too soon it ended with two delicate thuds on the plush green grass, followed by an immediate sprint into the dark forest. Side by side, the twins raced into the moonlight lit forest, to retrieve the man that raised them.