Episode 5

Chapter 13

Rev. Barnett wasted no time in calling Grant the next day. He shared with him the conversation he had with Rev. Nichols.

“Grant, I think it is best for you to put an end to all contact with Cassandra at this time,” his Dad told him.

“I can’t do that, Dad,” Grant said firmly. “Grant Lee is my son and I have every right to see him and to keep in touch with his mother whenever I deem it necessary. It’s not like I’m over there everyday. I’m not even in the same state. All I want to do is be able to call Cassandra up and talk with her about our son, and to see him on special occasions like Christmas and Thanksgiving and Easter. Is there anything wrong with that?”

“No, son, and I understand, but Cassandra’s father does not see it that way.”

“I mean, Dad, I left him a signed note that I would take care of my son and that I accept full responsibility for my son, and that I wanted to marry Cassandra,” Grant said. “Any man in his position I think would be happy to hear that.”

“Grant, I understand, but right now, he only sees Cassandra as his daughter living under his roof.”

“Yes, but she is nineteen years old getting ready to turn twenty—an adult and capable of making her own decisions.”

“Yes, Grant, but as long as she’s living under her father’s roof you have to respect his wishes,” Rev. Barnett said. “Anyway, I can’t allow Carolyn to drop off any more packages or to deliver any more messages. He’s threatening to sue us for trespassing if he sees any of us on his property.”

“What if Cassandra were to stop by the restaurant for any messages or gifts I send to her?” Grant asked.

“I wouldn’t do that either, Grant, and I am not going to allow that. Rev. Nichols wants no contact whatsoever as long as she’s living under his roof.”

“Well, then, I will tell her to find her own place and I’ll help her to pay for it,” Grant said adamantly.

“Calm down, Grant,” Rev. Barnett said firmly. “The Bible says ‘the discretion of a man deferreth his anger.’ Grant, I know you are upset at this, but I would advise you to use discretion in this matter and not get angry. Pray about this situation and leave it in God’s hands. He sees the whole picture. Only He knows why the Nichols are acting the way they are acting. There might be more to this than what we are seeing on the surface.”

“It’s not right, Dad, and you know it.”

“Whether we think it’s right or not, we are going to to respect Rev. Nichols’ decision,” Rev. Barnett told his son. “And we are going to stay away from his daughter because I sure do not want us to end up in court. This situation could get blown out of proportion.”

Grant sighed.

“The Bible says to ‘trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding; in all thy ways acknowledge him and he shall direct thy path.’ It also says to ‘seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you,’” Rev. Barnett said. “Grant, God knows you want to do the right thing and the right thing to do right now is to respect Rev. Nichols’ wishes and pray about it and let God change his heart. Our going against his wishes will only make him stand firmer in his decision. Okay, son?”

“Okay, Dad,” Grant said reluctantly. “But if this was to end up in court, couldn’t we get a lawyer to fight this thing for us?”

Rev. Barnett chuckled. “We already have a lawyer—God, and nobody can top Him.”