Chapter 1 - Part 1

I raced to the entrance of the hospital, with only Taylor, my best friend, on my mind

I raced to the entrance of the hospital, with only Taylor, my best friend, on my mind. Connor, her older brother, walked in first and held the door open for me. My heart thumped so hard I could hear it echo in my ears as I followed in with Matthew, Taylor's bodyguard. Only a few days before, someone had gone to astounding lengths to kidnap Taylor. He had caused an accident that had knocked Matthew out so he had been unable to stop him from taking her without anyone seeing anything.

For days we had tried everything to find her but there had been few leads. The cops hadn't been able to figure anything out either.

I gripped my handbag to keep myself from getting emotional as the hospital's sterile smell hit me. I hated that smell; it reminded me of death.

Connor went straight to the information desk.

"I'm here to see my sister, Taylor Price," he said anxiously. His jaw was tense. I stood beside him, looking expectantly at the nurse behind the counter. I gripped the edge of it, trying to keep my emotional feelings from taking over.

"Taylor Price," she murmured to herself as she tapped at the computer keyboard. Every second that ticked by seemed to take so much longer than usual.

"She's in ward C," the plump nurse told Connor. "Down the hall, second right, and then first door on your left."

He was gone before she'd even finished the last sentence. Matthew and I hurried behind him, trying to keep up.

In my mind I tried to calm my nerves. My relief at hearing the news that she had been found had been overcome with the fear at learning she was in the hospital. We had no idea what she had endured in the few days she had been held against her will. I shut down the thoughts that her kidnapper had done irreparable damage.

Few details had been given when Connor had received the call from Sin, Taylor's ex. They hadn't exactly dated; it had been more of an arrangement of benefits, which had gotten a little more complicated.

It was confusing. Sin had known before the hospital had called Connor a few minutes later. All we had been told was she had some injuries, but nothing life-threatening.

I wasn't surprised to see Sin leaning against the wall as we entered the ward. He pushed off the wall when he saw us. Then, beside him, I caught a glimpse of the person who had the power to stop the world around me.

Slater.

His silvery blue eyes found mine. His sandy brown hair hung across his forehead. Sin's best friend. He came to stand beside Sin, who had pitch-black hair and deep blue eyes. Both of them sported tattoo sleeves. Sin had a lip piercing and Slater had an eyebrow ring. It wasn't just their outward appearance that was intimidating, it was the air around them that warned people off—the same aura that made the girls swoon in their direction.

They both had heartache written all over them. But even knowing that hadn't stopped me from getting involved with Slater. It shouldn't have been a surprise to see him but the sight of him hit me square in the chest. It hurt. I hesitated for a moment before I pushed myself on. I could do this. I had to.