Magic, Special Friends, and Family

I'm so sorry *bows apoligetically* sorry if this chapter is not what you were hoping for. Thank you to everyone who has commented and stuck with the story, even if the writer is a horrible slappy who never updates. Anyway, thank you!!!

“Oh my glob, these pancakes are amazing.” I said dreamily as I stuffed another piece into my mouth. “You have to tell me how you get them to be so light and fluffy.”
“Sure, I’d be happy to tell you someday.” Canada said with a closed eyed smile, tilting his head slightly.
     We were all sitting around my kitchen table eating Canada’s heavenly pancakes. America took a bite and made a face of disgust. He picked up the syrup and drowned his pancakes with them. England ate it, but I could tell he didn’t enjoy it very much.
“What’s wrong, England?” I asked.
“Well, nothing really. It’s just I think I could make these better. Of course they’ll never be as good as my scones.”
     America dropped his fork, his mouth hung open. I couldn’t imagine how I would feel if someone told me that England’s food would be better than mine, even if it was England who said it.
“Dude, that’s the worst kind of insult. How do you sleep at night?” America said, stuffing a whole pancake in his mouth.
“What? I was just being honest.” England pouted. “Mumsy’s scones were always the best.”
     I looked over at Canada to see the reaction on his face, but he seemed perfectly fine with it. In fact, it didn’t look like it registered at all.
“How did that not offend you?” I asked Canada.
He looked at me and smiled, “When you grow up living with my Papa, you learn to have selective hearing.” As soon as he said it he started blushing furiously and buried his face into Kumijirou. “Papa used to talk about a lot of weird things that I didn’t understand.”
“Stupid frog face, talking about that sort of thing around a child.” England muttered, crossing his arms.
“Dude, at least you didn’t have to grow up with him.” America jabbed his thumb at England, crumbs falling from his mouth. “I spent the first 100 years of my life thinking that his cooking was gourmet.”
“Excuse you, but I seem to remember a certain young country who was pretty fond of the meals I prepared.”
     America tried to respond, but his mouth was so full of pancakes that it came out something like, “Fiw fkoe hun dadk ej!”
“What surprises me most is that you made enough pancakes to satisfy America.” I said to Canada as America sat back in his chair and unbuttoned his pants to make room for his bulging gut.
     As he rubbed his tummy he said, “My food baby is kicking. Mama, I need to go to the hospital!” He reached out for England and let out a labored moan as if he were having contractions.
“Get off of me, you bloody git!” England said, pushing America away and letting him fall on his face.
“You are a horrible grandma to my child.” America said, pouting and climbing back onto the chair.
     I giggled as I finished the last bite of my pancake and pushed the plate away. Standing up, I began to clear the table and start the dishes.
“Actually, papa wasn’t horrible to grow up with.” I heard Canada whisper. “He may have had lots of… close friends, but he was there for me. I always loved waking up and sitting on the back porch with him. He would always have a glass of wine and we would just talk. Wouldn’t be about anything dirty, just talking.”
     The countries all looked at the ground and seemed to be in a totally different zone; they were all thinking, probably memories of their friends, no, their family. I felt like an intruder, so I quickly finished the last plate and started to head upstairs.
“And where do you think you’re going?” England asked, standing up.
“Um, upstairs. I have some homework that I needed to work on.” I lied.
“You know you are part of our family now.”
     I was completely shocked. I looked over at Canada and America to see them smile and nod in agreement. I couldn’t take it anymore. I’m usually not a very emotional person, but there is something about them that.. I don’t know… feels different. Like I can finally be myself, that I don’t have to put up a wall anymore.
A single tear slid down my cheek, “How can you all put up with me?” I asked. “I somehow imprisoned your friends and family and yet you can still look at me. I don’t get it.”
“That’s the thing.” England said, wrapping his arms around me. “I am a wizard, and from the energy that you’re giving off, whatever happened was done with magic. We were all being sucked from reality, and for some reason, you were able to save us. You didn’t take our family away. You saved them.”
     I didn’t understand. How could I have done that? I’ve never done magic in my life, especially magic that seemed so powerful. Before I knew it, two more pairs of arms wound their way around my body.
“Dude, don’t ever cry again, ok? It breaks my heart too much.”
“I agree.” Canada whispered.
     The love that surrounded me then was so warming, so pure, so…. Perfect. I knew then that I would do whatever it took to make sure that their family would all come out alive and smiling. If I couldn’t cry, then neither could they. I finally had people that were able to break down my wall I didn’t even know I had built.