20. The necklace

After spending the weekend at home with my family and some relatives I returned to my apartment in London.

 I was returning from class, crossing one of the main streets in London.

‘Beeeep’ someone honked at me.

I didn’t turn around, because some people honk all the time, without any particular reason.

Just as I stepped back on the sidewalk I heard the horn again. I looked on my right and, as if I haven’t had enough of this, saw Harry getting out of the car right next to the stop light. I started walking a little bit faster, our apartment was in fact just around the corner of the next building.

“Sarah!” he ran up to me and grabbed my arm.

I turned around.

“What do you want?” I asked.

“You.” he answered.

“Harry, don’t you get it? It’s over.”

He extended his arm, trying to hold my hand, but I moved away before he could touch me.

“This is the last time I’m saying this. It’s over.”

He reached into his pocket and pulled out a letter. He handed it over to me. I took it, turned around and walked into my apartment, feeling awful and hopeless. I walked through the door, took off my shoes and jacket and threw the letter on the desk.

I went to the kitchen where I prepared myself some lunch. Pasta with vegetable sauce that I absolutely love.

While I was eating I remembered about the letter. I went looking for it and opened it. I still had some respect left for him, so I decided to read it. It’s only fair if he took the time to write it.

Dear Sarah!

I know it was my fault. It all began because of the bet. But this bet soon grew into something more. I can’t deny it anymore. I’m thinking about you every day, trying to figure out how to get you back. Can you please tell me what to do for you? Each day I remember the day I took you to the waterfalls. I’d love to go back there with you.

Why did I decide to take you there in the first place? A voice inside me was telling me that you’re the one that deserves it. You! Sarah! You don’t know how much I miss you. I want you here beside me. All I want to do is to kiss you and hold you close, like I did before.

Please, look again in the envelope that contained this letter.

I opened the envelope again and reached into it. I felt something in there. It was a heart shaped necklace. I turned it around in my hands and looked at it. My hands were shaking and I was tearing up. There was something engraved on the pendant. It said I love you!

Did you look again? Let me explain. My grandma gave me this necklace when she first took me to the falls. I remember, we were admiring the falling water when she suddenly pulled this necklace out of her pocket. She told me to look after it and have it with me until I meet the person that is worthy of having it. I’ve decided! It’s YOURS now!

I just want you to know how I feel about you. I know you’ll do what’s best for you. If you decide to share your happiness with someone else, know that I’ll be happy too.

I love you.

Harry, xoxo

My eyes that were tearing up a minute before were now overwhelmed with massive tears. I couldn’t believe it. Is this real? Is this really the necklace that his grandmother gave to him?

I really can’t accept this. I simply cannot accept this necklace.

I suddenly decided to go over to him. I put on my shoes and jacket and called a taxi.