Janet Moore

What the actual fuck? I rubbed my eyes and looked at the ceiling again to see if the words were still there. It wasn’t. I let out a sigh and laid my head back on my pillow. Maybe I’m just going crazy, or maybe I’m just really tired. Yup, that its. I closed my eyes and the darkness flooded my mind as I went to sleep.

I woke up and headed towards the shower. I let the warm water wake me up for the first day of school. As soon as I got out of the shower and threw my clothes on. I went downstairs where my mom was cooking breakfast.

“Smells good Mom! You’re driving me?” I asked as I grab a quick piece of toast and put it in my mouth.

“Yup, let’s go!”

We got in the car, and she quickly drove me to the school. It was pretty massive, and looked a bit spooky. I got out of the car and waved my mother goodbye.

It was already lunched time, and is I still haven’t made any friends. They all knew me as the ‘new girl’ but didn’t bother to speak to me. Oh well. Whatever. I got my food and went to an empty table. I looked at my food, and ate slowly, when a shadow was blocking my view. I looked up, and a saw a girl with long dirty blonde hair, smoking.

“Umm, would you please not smoke in front of me? I have asthma.” I said, as I felt my throat swelling up. She nodded and threw the cigar to the ground and stepped on it. She took a seat right in front of me and stock out her hand.

          “My name is Janet ummm Moore. Nice to meet you uhh….”

I shook her hand and looked at her.

“Stacy Walker, I have a middle name, but I don’t think you care.” I said with a small smile.

“Mhm True, but in time, you will get to trust me.” She said and smiled.

“Thanks. How long have you gone here? I asked as I took a bite of my apple.

“Mhm not long, like 9 months already.” She said.

“That cools. Leave around here?”

“Err” she looked around the room then back to me. “Yeah, I guess you can say so.”

“Me too. I just lived into a house. Apparently, a family was murdered there, and the daughter ran away with her brother.”

Something flickered in her eyes and she looked around again.

“Oh yeah, the Harmon’s, the daughter, Violet, used to go here, and now she doesn’t. She was pretty cool.”

“Oh, well sad to hear she is gone.”

“Yeah.”

The bell rang and everyone ran off to class. Janet got up from her seat and grabbed her bag.

“See you tomorrow Stacy.” She called out over her shoulder as she walked out.

Stranger girl if you ask me, but she is willing to be my friend.

I got home and went straight to the kitchen to get a snack. I heard a couple of voices in my dad’s new office, and I was curious who his first client was. I got an apple from the counter and creped to his office.

“So you never hurt anybody before.” Said a husky voice. My dad.

“No, I haven’t. I would like to, but I try to control myself.” Said another voice. Wait a minute, I knew that voice!

“But you said you can’t control your anger, a darkness takes over you.”

“Yes, but I try to find the light.” Tate! That was his name!

          I knock on the door softly, and I heard my dad clear his throat.

“Come in.” he said. I popped my head towards the door, and I saw my dad’s smile plastered on his face.

“I’m home dad.” I said as I walk over to him to give him a hug. As I did, I saw Tate look away and something flickered in his eyes, just like Janet did at school. Maybe it was just a coincidence.

“Oh, sorry.” Dad said as he pulled away.

“Tate, I would like you to meet my daughter, Stacy. Stacy this is Tate Langdon, my client.” He said as he smiled.

          Tate looked at my dad then at me and smiled.

“Err Dad, we already meet. Yesterday to be exact.” I said as I looked up to my dad.”

“Oh, my bad then. Umm Tate, I will see you tomorrow. I have to go run an errand.” Dad turned to me. “Stacy, your mom went out to the market and will be back later on. Behave ok?” he asked as he ruffled my hair.

“Sure dad.” I said.

          He kissed my forehead and went to the door and left. As soon as he left, Tate turned to me and gave me a crocked smile.

“Nice dad you got there, Wish I had one.” He said as he looked down.

“Aww hey, I can share my dad. Have been since I was born.” I said as I smiled at him. He looked up and smiled back.

“Thanks, you’re really sweet.” He said as he went closer to me. He tucked a strand of my hair under my ear, and I felt my face getting hot.

“Uh yeah, thanks.” I said as I turned away.

          He brought his finger to my chin and lifted my face. I looked into his eyes as he did the same.

          “You know, you’re really pretty.” He said, and I felt his hot breath on my neck. I felt myself getting tense as he leaned in. His lips were inches from mine, when suddenly, something knocked me to the ground.

          Tate immediately kneeled down next to me; anger washed over his face, but it quickly went away when he saw me.

          “Stacy! Are you ok?” he said, a worried tone in his voice. I nodded and pulled myself up, with the help of Tate.

“I am sorry, I really didn’t know what just happened.” I said as I felt a bit dizzy. I tried to stand up, when I stumbled over, and Tate caught me in his arms.

          “You don’t look so good. Here, let me carry you to your bed.” He said.

          “No that’s ok-Ahh” Tate had already had me in his arms, bridal-style, and quickly carried me upstairs.

          “Which room?” he asked.

          “First one on the right.” I said. He took me to my room and laid me on my bed. He got up and headed towards the door.

          “Hey, wait, are you leaving?” I asked.

          “Yeah. Why?” he said as he turned around.

          “Umm please don’t leave.” I asked sheepishly. He chuckled lightly and walked over tom bed and sat down where I was.

          “Why don’t you want me to leave, it’s not safe here.” He asked.

          “Well, like you said, it’s not safe. And… I don’t wanna be alone.” I said. Tate nodded as he slipped his hand into mine.

          “I promise, I won’t leave you unless you tell me too.” He said as he looked directly into my eyes. When he said that, I felt like he had another meaning to it, something deep. Tate Langdon, who are you really?