epilogue

[Thank you to everyone who supported this story with votes and comments! As always, I really appreciate your feedback. I love you all. Writing this story has been an amazing journey. x]

epilogue

    Leading up to its official closure, Louis visited Whittingham Asylum on a regular basis. Every day, he took the train to see Harry and unwind after a long shift at the office. They grew increasingly close and learned a lot about one another.

Harry learned that Louis likes his tea with milk and no sugar. He's also a massive football fanatic, a human rights activist, and a proud mummy's boy. He's passionate about drama and theater and Elvis Presley. He doesn't like the sound of his own voice on tape. He hates wearing socks in the summertime.

Louis learned a lot about Harry, too. He has a strong sweet tooth. He sounds like an angel when he sings. He's clumsy and walks like a baby deer on ice. He's emotionally sensitive, likes taking artistic pictures of random household objects, and hates the word "crazy."

He also likes kisses on the cheek, holding hands, and being the little spoon.

Their makeshift "dates" consisted of brief strolls through the courtyard and watching reruns of I Love Lucy on the asylum's old television. Of course, they were always cautious of showing public displays of affection, in fear of being seen. It was the 1960's, after all. Homophobia and anti-gay hate crimes ran rampant in the streets. So they waited, patiently, until they could finally be free at last.

On a cold day in November, Whittingham Asylum was forcefully shut down on multiple accounts of abuse, neglect, and fraud. When investigators discovered financial reports that left £49,000 of hospital profits unaccounted for, the head matron, Elizabeth Parker, was also charged with embezzlement. By order of the court, Whittingham's patients were relocated to multiple neighboring hospitals. The National Health Service claimed temporary ownership of the Whittingham psychiatric facility until further notice.

When Whittingham was shut down, Harry was transferred to a psychiatric facility called Horton Asylum in the outskirts of London. Unfortunately, traveling from Lancashire to London took nearly three hours by train and nearly quadrupled the cost of the fare. As a result, their regular visits were cut down to once per week.

Regardless, Horton Asylum was an absolute paradise compared to Whittingham. The nurses were kind and treated Harry with respect. The food was delicious and prepared by real chefs, not random employees in hairnets. He had a comfy bed, a large room, and a nice roommate named George with severe arachnophobia and claustrophobia. The doctors at Horton Asylum started giving Harry real antipsychotics and antidepressants— not the fake ones made of sugar.

He started attending therapy sessions to deal with his past trauma and issues with his father. It wasn't easy for him to admit that his identities were coping mechanisms, but he came to accept it eventually. Recovery wasn't easy, but he was committed. He wanted to take control of his life again. He wanted to be himself again.

After two months, Niall's identity disappeared, the weakest of the lot.

After six months, Liam's identity followed suit.

And after one year of consistent treatment and mental dedication, Zayn stopped showing up as well.

When Louis heard the news over the phone, he felt so happy he cried. He boarded the next train to London and surprised Harry with a plateful of cupcakes and a dozen kisses.

-

"So you're really going home?" George asks softly, sitting at the edge of his mattress.

Their beds are on opposite sides of the room, leaving a gap between them. George's blue eyes stare into Harry's with sadness. They've become close friends over the past year or so. Having a roommate made Harry feel a little less lonely. Plus, he always gave Louis and Harry privacy during their visits. He respected their relationship and befriended Louis, too.