PROLOGUE

The constant ringing of my cell phone broke me out of my sweet, sweet slumber.

I reached out to the night stand and grabbed the sleek black phone. Staring at the call display, I read the incoming caller's name, “What now, Beth...” I breathed before answering it.

“Hello?”

“Oh my god, finally you answered!”
“It's six fifty in the morning, Beth... on my first day off...” I hissed at my best friend.

“Yeah, I know. Whatever.” She brushed me off, “So, did you think about it?”

I rubbed my hand over my brow, trying to wake up a bit, “Think about what?”

“The resort...” She huffed.

“Oh...”

Beth's idea of a fun time for the holiday season.

“No... I really would rather... stay here.” I told her.

“No, you gotta come, Amy! Come on. please!”

I rolled my eyes, “Beth, I can't even ski! I don't know what you expect me to do there for a week!”

“Yeah, I know but there's some really cute ski instructors... if you know what I mean.” She tried to convince me with her best convincing Elizabeth Saltz voice, “Don't tell Steve but the guy yesterday was yummy, you'll like...”

I sighed – the trying to set me up with every walking male was getting old, “No... no really... I have things to do...”
“You do not!” She scolded, “What were going to do on Christmas exactly anyway?”

I stumbled for something, wracking my brain but in all seriousness, I was just going to sit at home by myself with a overly pricey bottle of red and take out. That idea sounded nice, lacking family had never really affected me, not when I had my dream job and executive apartment to match it.

“Beth...”

“You're coming, Amy.” She finalized, “Come hang out, have fun, maybe get a little something something...” There was that reference to me needing the opposite sex again, “It'll be great and it's not even that far.”

I sighed, maybe doing something different this year for the holidays would be... okay. If it didn't work out, at least I had an obvious reason for further avoidance in future coming years.

“Yeah, okay.”

“Great! I'll text you instructions and just put it in your phone, it's super easy to find.”
“You sure you have room?” I asked, in one last attempt to get out of it.

“Oh my gosh, yes!” She was way too excited.

“Okay, I'll pack.” I glanced at the clock. The first day of my week off and I had been woken up at seven in the morning only to be demanded to get out of bed and drive my butt to a ski resort that would take all day to get to.

I sat up, staring across the room of my high rise apartment.

Why in god's green earth had I just agreed to that? I should have told her I would call back. Then I could have at least pumped my body full of caffeine and dodge the rest of the conversation, in the end getting out of the arrangement all together... but, because I hadn't been on the ball, I now had to go.

It was too late though, all my should have and could have's were gone. I had to go and if I was lucky enough, skimp out after only a couple days of freezing my ass off in minus whatever.

I got out of bed and walked to the washroom, at least my bags were still packed from my last business trip a day ago. That however had been a much more pleasant trip then this was going to be. Business was always pleasant for me, making money was exciting.

“I'll just get coffee on the way...” I decided and grabbed my tooth brush as I started getting ready for the most wonderful time of the year...