Training Day

I dream of my mom. She is my inspiration. When I was little, she wore glasses, so I would steal her extra pair to just look like her. She’s also really pretty. When the wind blew through her hair, a beautiful yellow halo circled around her head. If she smiled, the universe would illuminate. She’s a single mom. My dad is gone. I do have a few memories of him. It’s not a subject I like to bring up, but I can’t help it. He would teach me how to hold and shoot a bow and arrow. That was at age two. At age three, I was spearing dummies right in the heart. Right before my fourth birthday, he left. I have gotten tons of awards in archery from competitions all over the globe. I stopped because It reminded me too much of my dad. I never told anybody this. It’s been six years since I’ve ever touched a bow. Every time I’d ask exactly who my dad was, my mom’s face would cloud and she’d say: He was a man like no other, Christina.

My dream and thoughts shatters as I hear quiet voices. All most in an instant, they turn to yells. I feel something wet splash my face. My eyelids slowly move apart and I see Sally’s green eyes staring back at me.

“She’s okay!”

I hear a sighs of relief echo around the room. Matt and Alex help me up. Leya directs me to my bed.

“How long was I out?” I ask.

“20 minutes.” Leya replied. “Are you hungry or something?”

“No, not really.”

“Okay, well, there’s some food in the cabinets.”

“Thanks, Leya.”

She nods and walks away.

“Wow.” Says Sally. “Why is she being so nice?”

“I guess she’s grateful of what I did.”

“She better be. She was dying.”

“Yeah.”

There was some awkward silence until Matt said, “What do you guys think made Christina pass out? It was actually pretty scary.”

Leya snorts. “You?! Being scared?!”

It wasn’t hard to understand why I passed out, but, c’mon, he’s Matt.

“After I was done healing Leya’s wound, I felt like all the energy was taken out of me.  I was pretty dizzy, and when everyone gathered around me, it made the feeling worse.”

“Sorry.”

I smile tiredly. “It’s not your fault. Anyway, I want to take a shower. You guys mind?”

“No.” They all say in unison.

I smile again. “Thanks.”

I go to the closet and see a bunch of clothes. I notice my name is on one of them. That’s convenient. I take them off the shelf and shuffle over to the bathroom. I strip and turn on the shower. I slip inside and moan in pleasure. I think is the best shower I’ve ever taken. I watch as the little droplets hit my pale skin and slide to the bottom of the slippery floor. And once the drops hit the floor, they go down the dark abyss of a drain. It’s like us. We got sucked into a drain, too. A drain to the fiery pits of Hell. I take the soap and wash my whole body. Then I wash my hair. I get out and dry. Wow, I feel like a new person!  I check out the clothes. There’s a plain white T-shirt, gray sweats, and a pair of running shoes. Very simple. I like the shoes. I put them on and they’re actually really comfortable. I wrap my hair and step outside.

“How do I look?” I ask, making a pose.

Leya’s answer: Stupid.

Sally’s answer: Cute!