Chapter 4 pt. 2 - ***REVISED***

The following morning, after only partaking of a half piece of toast, Breanne retrieved the book of maps Brandon had given her, placing it on the counter; and turning to the page she'd found and marked during her voyage, asked the man who'd given her the room key for directions.

"I need to go right here," she said, trailing her finger near what looked to be a small ridge where she'd placed a small "x" to indicate the location of Torrington's property.

The man studied the map as she continued. "I also need to find transportation. Is there anyone around here who may be able to assist me? I would like to start as soon as possible so as to reach my destination before nightfall."

The man snorted, catching her off guard, and her eyebrows crumpled at his rudeness.

"Miss, you aren't gonna get there tonight," he told her, crossing his arms over his stained, buttoned up shirt.

"I can pay," she meekly informed him, bracing her hands on the counter, suddenly wishing that the more pleasant woman was present.

"Doesn't matter," he returned, pointing at the map. "This here, where you want to go, is near the Blue Mountains."

She knew that much. Breanne raised her eyebrows, waiting for him to continue, and when he saw that she still didn't understand, said, "It's at least a sennight away."

Breanne's eyes widened in surprise and displeasure, her mouth slightly parted. She had already spent too long aboard a ship, and all she wanted to do was finally see the place that was to be her home and get a restful sleep, not stay in more inns. She sighed in defeat, "Very well. Could you give me a list, perhaps, of some of the inns along the way?"

When the man snorted again, Breanne's eyes slightly narrowed.

"There is no such list-"

"Well, if you can name them, I can try to remember-"

"There is no such list," he stated more loudly, "because there are no more inns. Now," he continued, looking over her head at the next patron, hinting for her to move.

She flattened her hands on the counter, leaning in towards him. "Please," she stressed, searching his eyes for any hint of kindness. "I understand that you are busy, but I truly need your assistance. I won't take up much time. I just need to find someone to get me out to this place." She waited a beat. "Please," she repeated again, pointing at the mark on the map.

The man sighed heavily, straightened his spectacles, and took a closer look at the map before glancing up at her. "That's MacIntosh property," he stated, shaking his head. "There's a sizable Scottish colony that they've allowed out there on their land. But, you should know that they don't like outsiders."

"They won't mind, seeing as it's me," Breanne bluffed.

The man squinted at her, as if trying to determine if she were telling the truth before answering her. "Now, no promises, but I'll 'ave to see if I can find a horse for you to-"

"I can't ride," she quietly admitted, shaking her head.

Irritation and surprise flickered in the man's eyes. "What do you mean, you can't ride?"

She really didn't appreciate the snide way in which he repeated what she'd told him. Straightening her shoulders, she lifted her chin a notch and said, "I was never taught, sir. I don't know how."

"Well, aren't you just a shard of glass in my-"

"Albert!"

The man started, flushing red as he turned to look at the same hefty woman, whom Breanne could only assume was his wife. He gestured helplessly towards Breanne, straightening his glasses again, as he accounted for his actions. "I am tryin' to help the girl, Martha. It's not my job to coddle her!" He blustered, jerking his head forward in his passionate statement, and causing a few wisps of his thinning hair to fall forward.