CHAPTER 28

- CHRIS’ POV

The clock soon became midday and I found myself at a TV studio getting ready for an interview.

“1 minute, guys!” a woman shouted at everyone. “Chris, if you’d like to come this way.”

She guided me to where I needed to be and then I waited for the host, Tina Marloe, to say my name. She was new and it was a brand new show so I wasn’t really sure what to expect.

“Our guest for tonight has been in the music business for 25 years, has toured all over the world, has sold millions and millions of albums and singles and has had countless No.1s in almost every country. Please welcome an extremely talented man who goes by the name of Chris Brown!” she finally said. I walked through, waved at the audience and then sat down on the couch.

She waited for the applause to die down. “Hi!”

C: “Hey. Thanks for inviting an old man down here.”

T: “Old man?”

C: “I have been doing what I do for 25 years, like you said.”

T: “That doesn’t make you old! It just makes you experienced!”

C: “Ha, innuendo.”

Tina blushed and started laughing and the audience clapped. “I’m sorry, I’m still tired. So, should we get to the questions now?”

C: “Yeah, let’s do it.”

T: “Is that another -”

“No, no,” I laughed.

T: “Good. OK, so you were sixteen when you put out your first single?”

C: “Correct. Yeah, before that I was just an ordinary kid from Virginia. The town I grew up in was small so I kinda went to a different world when I signed my contract and everything blew up.”

T: “Was it strange having a completely new lifestyle?”

C: “I mean, not really. I’d describe it as… different.”

T: “What’s your most favourite album that you’ve ever released?”

C: “Oh, that’s a tough one. I have a few. My latest one probably contains the best music because my aim for the album was to create a really mature sound but great music at the same time; hopefully all the attention to detail and stuff paid off. Yeah, I’d say my latest one, my first ever album - which was self entitled… and, um… X because I worked so hard on it and I think the music’s still listenable now, which can’t be said for some of my others.”

T: “Do you regret releasing any songs?”

C: “I even regret recording quite a few. Yeah, some are really bad.”

T: “OK, so I want to kind of move the interview away from the music - every other interviewer talks about that with you - and I want to talk about personal things if that’s fine with you?”

C: “Sure, yeah. I can handle it now… I’ve grown up.”

T: “How is your relationship with Rihanna?”

C: “Robyn, I mean Rihanna, I haven’t seen her in a while. She’s got her two boys, Guy and Lamar, and they’re 10 and 13 so I guess they keep her busy - and she’s a single parent now so she’s got to do that as well as her career. We used to be really close friends but then when Zahra and Blake were born we just drifted apart.”

T: “How are Zahra and Blake?”

C: “Yeah, they’re really good. They’re at that age where they’re trying to find themselves as people in this big place we call Earth and it’s been amazing watching them grow up together. One of the things I wanted to keep intact from the moment I found out they weren’t related by blood was their closeness. I wanted them to still see each other as brother and sister, you know… I wanted them to be there for one another through everything they may go through.”