Chapter Two

AN; I'm so happy at the response to my first chapter, and I'm very grateful for all the comments and help you guys have given me. I did re-write this chapter three times because I wanted Kaitlin and Nate's meeting scene to be perfect. I aimed for it to be very awkward and strung with tension but I'm not sure how I did. Leave a comment below to tell me what's good and what can be improved on.

***

By the time I finally found my way home, it was almost seven. There was no one home when I opened the door. Of course there wasnt. My mum was halfway across the country in another business trip. She wasn't due back till Thursday. As for my dad, well, I haven't seen him since I was eleven. 

I grab a can of soda from the fridge, and go upstairs to my room. Once I'm in, I shut the door firmly and turn on the light. The sun had gone down, turning the sky a dark indigo. 

Pulling my long hair into a ponytail, I jump on the bed. I lie there on my back, staring at the ceiling. I never wanted to remember the things that happened today, but it's hard to forget. I try and stop the tears that are slowly forming.

The corner of the box brushes against my fingers as I move my hand. I jolt awake, suddenly curious.

I prop myself up on the bed and cross my legs with the small box in my lap. There's a rattling sound as I shake it.

I undo the ribbons, folding them up neatly, before I open the lid of the box. There's large cookies in there, chocolate chip by the look of it, each with tiny words written on in white icing. I pick up the first one, and promptly upon reading it, I can feel the ends of my mouth involuntarily twitching up.

'Do you have a mirror in your pocket? Because I can see me in your pants.'

Oh wow, original, I thought as I rolled my eyes. Trust a stranger with bad pick up line written on food to cheer me up. What has my world become? But then, I laughed. Just for a moment. Well, it was funny.

Well, since he has given me food, I might as well eat it. My stomach grumbled at that thought, reminding me that I hadn't had anything to eat since breakfast. I break the cookie in half and popped it in my mouth. It was good, crunchy and chocolate-y, but not overly sweet. I smiled to myself as I savoured the taste on my tongue. Damn. So the boy did end up making me smile.

I picked up another one but groaned when I read it. This was worse.

'Do you know the difference between a hamburger and a blow job? No? D'ya wanna do lunch?'

It's still delicious I thought, as I bit into it. Very delicious.

By the time I had finished the whole box, I went through a whole range of very, VERY bad pickup lines.

'Do you like short love affairs? I hate them. I've got all weekend.'

'Miss, If you've lost your virginity, can I have the box it came in?'

'Excuse me, but do you give head to strangers? No. Well, then, allow me to introduce myself.'

'How do you like your eggs cooked? Why? Well I just wanted know what to make for you in the morning!'

'That dress looks great on you...as a matter of fact, so would I.'

'That shirt's very becoming on you. If I were on you, I'd be coming too.'

At the bottom of the box was a pink card. I took it out and opened it.

'Call me?' It said, with a number written below it.

I shook my head it disbelief as I muttered to myself. I am NOT getting asked out using a box of cookies, even if it was the highlight of my day. I have enough problems without adding another boy to the story.

***

Since it was five minuted before the first bell rang, the halls were filled with students. I tried scurring quickly past them, avoiding all eye contact. I couldn't see where I was going until I bumped into the something, or someone.

Now, if my luck was good that day I would've bumped into a wall or a locker or even a teacher. I could've just apologised and told them I was in a hurry. But instead, I bumped into the one and only Nate Adams.

My pulse starting rising. "Sorry!" I half squeaked and half stammered.

Without looking up, I knew the he was glaring at me. "Don't you know that it's rude to not watch where you're walking?" His voice was cold and emotionless, sending shivers down my spine. My eyes met his when I looked up.

Nate was so different from the last time I had seen him. His eyes, a stormy gray, lacked warmth and character. His blonde hair looked unbrushed, sticking up in different directions and hanging limp in others. Usually, he styled it in a messy, 'out of bed' hairstyle, but this was different. He looked hurt and torn.

"I-I can really ex-" But before I could finish my sentence, he grabbed my wrist and led me through the door to the right of me. It was an empty chemistry classroom.

He locked the door and sat on one of them benches. The lights were closed and only one of the blinds were open, casting dark shadows of him and I. There was a smell of a strange acidic concotion in the air, causing me to wince, my eyes to slightly water. 

Looking at me he said, "I'll give you five minutes. Explain." There was something in his tone that told me he wasn't going to forgive me no matter what excuse I used. 

I don't know why I bothered trying, but I did. 

"I still love you." I splurted out before I could stop myself. He gave me a questioning glance, as if to say, oh really? But then surprisingly, his expression softened.

"I do too..." he murmured. I stared him in the eye, the bitterness and coldness vanished from his face. He looked so vulnerable now. "But you really hurt me."

"Will you forgive me?" 

He shook his head. "I can't."

"I'll do anything for you." I pleaded as I blinked back tears.

He leaned towards me, and brushed a strand of brown hair out of my face. His touch causing my pulse to race. "I know, but you've hurt me so much. You have no idea what I've been going through these few days."

Inside, I wanted to tell him that 'I' was the one that's been to hell and back these past 3 days, but I didn't. I started to chatise myself for having such self-centered thoughts since clearly he was hurting too until I realised he was still looking at me for a response.

"I'm sorry." There was nothing else I could say. The inside of me ached as his withdrew his hand.

"I want to give you a second chance, but my friends have all been telling me I shouldn't."

"I'll do anything for that. I'll make it up to you, I promise." I stated firmly.

"But I don't think that I'm ready to go back into the relationship yet. I want to be your friend, but I still need time to decide if we're right for each other. Can you give me that?"

I nodded. "Please do know that I still love you." I hope he knew I meant it.

He gave me the tiniest smile that caused my heart to flutter slightly. "I still love you too." 

His gaze lingered for a moment on me, but then the bell rang, causing the 'oh so romantic' moment to dissapate. 

"I have to get to my first class," He told me, and I nodded uncertainly. Quickly unlocking the door, he pushed it open and looked at me. "Aren't you coming with me?"

I nodded again, trying to think of something to say, but my mind was numb. Instead, I just walked with him to English, our first class.

***

What do you guys think? Is any guy really this forgiving or..... Oh and also, a few of you guys are wondering why Kaitlin cheated. Unfortunately, that won't be revealed until some later chapter. :P Hope you enjoyed it and remember to comment and vote/fan if you liked it. :D