2. how a heart works

dedicated to books_before_looks for making me the wonderful banner at the top of this chapter! 💕

Willa had never heard the halls so silent, nor the sound of her heartbeat so loud in her ears. She'd never asked anybody out in her life, and she hadn't expected for it to slip out so easily. In fact, she'd only dated a total of two people, and one of them was for eight and a half days.

But, she figured in their case, both being finalists in a competition that had spanned years and cost at least a hundred broken hearts, he'd have little incentive to say no. It was for the good of the student body, after all.

Even if he pretended he didn't care, she was sure Ashton wouldn't deny that the title was enticing. And she was also sure, that after all her heart had suffered through in the last three days, that he couldn't break it any further.

But him? He had girlfriends, that wasn't secret information. He had to, otherwise he would have been discounted from the game long ago. And they'd been broadcasted too, at first. Until everyone realised how completely undramatic and devoid of feeling they were and just... forgot.

She doubted he knew how a heart worked. Or how to break one.

Willa could have smacked in him in the face when he started snickering, his amusement penetrating the stone cold expression on his face after a long few seconds of silence.

"What? Rebound?" he asked. His voice was deep, and she realized it had been quite some time since she'd heard him speak. "Or is this your strategy?"

She stiffened, her confidence dropping a little. But, of course, she would never let that show. "Take it or leave it, Hartford. I know you're just as keen as I am for this game to be over."

For the crown to be in her hands.

He regarded her with that snide expression for a little longer before the bell rang, and he decided to finally put her out of her misery. "Alright, Perry. I'll break your heart."

Willa saw Declan at the end of the last period. She wasn't quite ready, especially when she saw that he was laughing, tossing his head back and slapping the back of his best friend Miles as they walked across the quad and towards the training rooms.

Why was he allowed to laugh? Was his happiness just a front, like hers? And why on Earth was it suddenly a competition to show just who cared less?

On any normal day he'd have been waiting by her locker to kiss her warmly before leaving for practice, leaving butterflies behind in her stomach.

She was the one to dump him. Surely she couldn't be the only one feeling the pain. But, he looked so happy, probably making crude jokes and planning out tactics as usual, as if his heart hadn't been smashed to pieces only days ago.