Chapter 1

The sound of slow jazz reverberated through the small rental car as it made its way down the secluded highway. It was the only sufficient music on the radio at two in the morning. She had been driving for fourteen hours straight, all in the hopes that she could make it to her mother's retirement community in time. Fogged windows acted as a barrier between her thoughts and the real world zooming past. She reminisced about her childhood, and her mother, who acted as both a dad and mom for all her life. She was her stronghold, the person she could always turn to, she couldn't die; she needed her.

The thought alone brought tears, which Margie had been trying to hold back, into her eyes and down her cheeks, leaving mascara-streaked paths down her face.

A reflective highway sign announced that she had twenty miles to go before reaching her destination. It was then that she realized that she was also low on gas. With a huff, she pulled in to the first gas station she found. There were only three cars in the lot, and the overhead lights flickered constantly, like they were about to go out any moment.

"Hello Miss," someone called as she had just finished rolling down her window. A robust man came into her line of vision he was sporting a gas station logo on his t-shirt. He would have been intimidating to her, especially at this hour, had it not been for his out-of-date hairstyle, the ever classy mullet. That coupled along with his handle bar mustache, left her holding in her laughter, rather than running for the hills.

"Are you looking to fill this puppy up?" He asked, and it was then that she noticed the country twang in his voice, yes she was definitely close.

"Yes please," she said as she fished out her debit card from her purse.

"Oh no, sorry Miss, I'm not sure where you're from, but I don't do that. You have to pump your own gas." Realization dawned on her, this wasn't Oregon, they don't pump your gas here. With an embarrassed smile she got out and stared at the pump in front of her. Why hadn't she thought of this before? Of course this would happen, she'd not only have to embarrass herself by not knowing how to work a gas pump, but at two in the morning, no less.

"You doing alright there?" With a jolt, she realized she'd just been staring at the gas pump for five minutes, while Jon, as his name tag read, had been standing next to her.

"Um...Well, you see... I've never used one of these before," she said in a low mumble.

A chuckle was his only reply before he grabbed the nozzle and fit it into her car. "Well I figured," another chuckle. "It's all right Missy, don't you worry, just go on inside and find Silas to pay. I'll do this part for you."

She sent him a grateful smile as she made her way inside the nearby convenience store. The bell chimed on the door as she opened it, announcing her presence to this 'Silas' character. Upon inspection of the small shop though, she couldn't find anyone around.

"Hello? Anyone? I just need to pay for my gas. Hello?" Her calls were met by silence. Giving up she marched over to the counter, and after rifling through her purse found $60, which she threw on the counter. "That should cover it," she said aloud as she swiftly turned on her heel. A figure, that wasn't there before, stood behind her causing her to let out a scream.

The person, who she assumed was the missing Silas, quickly clamped a hand over her mouth. "Will you shut up?" He thundered. "I was trying to sleep! Then you come in here, doing all your 'hellooo anyone here' girly yelling, can't a man get some rest?" Hegrumbled, his voice rising into a falsetto imitating her, a frown across hisface.

She was taken aback by the man's anger, and a little frightened. He wasn't set as large as the man outside was, but he must have stood at 6'3" at the least. Even in her scared state, she couldn't help but also notice how attractive he was. Even the bags under his brown eyes, and five o'clock shadow seemed on to only add to his appeal. "Well, have you got anything to say for yourself? Or are you just going to stand there?"

With that she was brought back from her reverie.

"I'm just trying to pay for my gas! You're the one who should be answering for yourself." She accentuated her statement with a foot stomp. "You don't go around scaring people at 2 in the morning, much less fall asleep on the job!"

The look in his eyes would have scared her, if not for her own growing fury. She was tired, very tired, from hours of driving, and attitude from a gas station attendant was the last thing she needed.

Silas stomped over to the cash register and pounded the buttons until the machine sounded a resounding 'ding'. Grabbing the cash she'd thrown on the counter, he stuffed it into the register.

"Okay, your gas is paid for, you can leave."

She was tempted to argue with him further, but his face clearly told her that she was dismissed. Shooting him the most hateful glare she could muster, which turned into more of a tired grimace, she stalked outside.

When she made it to her car, mullet man was leaning against it, and quickly noticed her face of barely contained rage.

"Ah, I see you found Silas. Hope he didn't give you too much trouble?" The question hung in the air as Margie situated herself in the driver's seat.

Seeing that she wasn't going to reply, he blew out a breath, trying a different topic for conversation.

"Well, have a safe drive now, you hear." She glanced at him now, finally realizing that he was talking.

"Um, yeah, thank you for all your help. I've got to get on the road again." She motioned to her steering wheel for emphasis.

"Right, sure, good bye Miss," he replied.

Taking that as her cue, Margie put the car in drive and pulled out of the gas station, hoping that she wouldn't have to deal with anymore Silases during her trip.