Chapter Three

I stared out the living room window. It had been about two weeks since Rosie and Elanja arrived, and there wasn’t really anything new to report. (Besides the fact of Elanja losing a considerable amount of weight, but I wanted to keep it a secret that I knew.)  I stood up, stretching; in about thirty minutes I had training, whether or not I wanted it. Drago had been getting ill quickly once again, and we had a doctor’s appointment at about two in the afternoon. We had these, now, regularly, though they rarely had anything good or new to report.

I got into my Warrior training attire, a simple hoodless chainmail with fabric draped over the shoulders and across the waist, in sort of a kilt fashion.  I said farewell to my brother, and let the girls be. It was quite early, I did not know if they were awake or not.

            As I made my way into the forest, collecting firewood for Ate, I saw a bright flash of transparent light. I rushed towards the light, dropping some twigs here and there. I was only capable of seeing a silhouette of a girl, who was carrying a very thick book. Just off of a hunch, I cried out the first name that came to my mind, and which truly, had not left my mind in the past two weeks.

“Elanja?!” The figure looked, a swiftly ran off in the opposite direction. “HEY! Wait…” The figure did not stop. I groaned in frustration, then went back to collecting firewood. I kept up a fairly good pace, until I heard a grave voice, yelling.

“DIEDUARDO! HURRY UP!” He growled, as I hurried over. “WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG?!” General Chamisaya yelled straight into my face, and without giving me a chance to reply, he stormed away.  I sighed, placing the firewood onto the ground. I checked my watch; it was 1:50.  Alright, so I was still on schedule, then. I made my way over to General Chamisaya, who was still on his yelling spree. I gulped nervously, and stood in front of him.

            “SIR, permission to leave early, SIR?” My voice cracked slightly, and my eyes made contact with his.

            “And why, tell me, must you leave?” His voice sounded calm, but then proceeded to thread in a certain coldness and cruelness.

            “Uh, well…my brother has a doctor’s appointment and I need to be the-“ I was cut off.

            “Which is more important to you, soldier?! Your family or your training?!” I answered honestly, without hesitation.

            “My family…SIR!” General Chamisaya charged towards me,  grabbing me by the chainmail at my shoulders. He slammed me into a tree, and then threw me onto the ground.

            “EVERYTHING COMES SECOND TO TRAINING, SOLDIER! MAN! UP!” He growled, walking away, leaving me on the ground. He escorted the Warriors away, as to show them what happens when you disobeyed him. I zoned out, until I heard familiar footsteps running towards me.

            “Nicholai?! Nicholai!” The second call was more drawn out. I groaned, in response. “Nicholai!” The voice, a girl, sounded relieved as she kneeled beside my body. I opened my eyes, and looked up to the figure. My eyes were blurry, but even then I could recognize her. Gaia Chamisaya, the granddaughter of the General. She was two years my elder, and two times as short. “Are you okay, Nicholai? I saw you and Ate fighting and…” I nodded, sitting up and holding the back of my head.

            “I’m fine, G. He just got mad at me for wanting to leave early to go and take care of my brother.” Gaia sighed, helping me up. “You know, I’m not even sure I should be in the Warriors. I only needed it for money, and I have just enough to pay for Drago’s medicine for a couple more months. Surely, I can manage to scrap up enough for some food…”  Gaia’s grip tightened on my arm, and I looked up for what I knew was coming.