The Concert

August 17, 1960

August 17, 1960

                                  Ritchie was performing at the El Segundo Ball Room, that city is about 7 miles away from Hawthorne, Chris' hometown. Ritchie had met Chris (whose name was then Ezekiel, but people called him 'Zeke') the year before last in January, and he didn't really expect to see him again. The last thing he remembered saying to him was 'Good luck with your career'. You see, Chris wanted to be a singer just like Ritchie. He idolized him because he was the only Mexican-American rock and roller there was and that inspired him. Ritchie was up on stage playing Brown Eyed Handsome Man  and it was time for his break. He handed the mic to Jimmy Clanton and headed off to the concession stands. He grabbed a cookie and turned around. A young man crashed right into him. Ritchie dropped his plate and spilled the cup of Coke™ he just got from the table. They both crouched to the ground picking and wiping up the mess. "Gee, I'm really sorry, I didn't mean to!" The boy said.

                                                    "It's okay, man. We can get this cleaned up, it's not the end of the world." Ritchie said. Zeke recognized that voice. His eyes widened and he look up at Ritchie's face.

                                                     "You're Ritchie Valens!" He exclaimed.

                                              "It looks like it." Ritchie said as he flung the soggy napkins in the trash. "Heey, you're that Zeke kid from a while back, aren't you?"

                                            "Yeah! You remember me!?" Zeke smiled.

                                         "Of course, I remember all the fans I talk to!" Ritchie grinned back. "How has your singing been going?" He said

                                       "Uh, I'm not really getting anywhere. I mostly play by myself or with my family." Zeke looked down with a slight frown.

                                                "Hey, how about after the show I take you back stage and you can use my guitar. Maybe sing a little. I'm kinda curious to see what you sound like, kid."

                                            "Oh! Uh-I don't know. I mean you're.... YOU. Like, THE Ritchie Valens! What if I freeze up? I don't wan-"

                                           "Don't worry, I don't bite." Ritchie chuckled. "It's okay, I know what it's like to be nervous. Every time I go out on stage, I still feel like I'm gonna get sick, but that doesn't stop me. Come on, I'm the least intimidating guy there is around. What do you say?" Ritchie extended his hand.

                                         "I guess." Zeke said nervously as he shook Ritchie's hand. The host came back out, and he could be heard calling Ritchie's name in the background.

                                         "I have to go."  Ritchie said. Zeke nodded. "Hey, how about you come back stage right now why'll I'm playing and you'll be right there when I'm done. Good seat too." Ritchie pointed to the curtains.

                                  "Really?"  Zeke beamed.

                                        "Yeah, come on, let's go!" Ritchie smiled and patted Zeke's back. Ritchie played his last round and came back behind the curtain.

                                           "That was great, Ritchie!" Zeke clapped.

                                       "Thanks! Now here's the Strat™. Have anything to pick in mind?"

                                    "Well there's this one, I only have a chorus to go with it."

                                 "That's okay, that's how I started. Go on." Ritchie smiled.

                                        "Well let's dance. Well let's dance. We'll do the twist, the stomp the mashed potato too, Any old dance that you wanna do

                                                  But let's dance, well let's dance." He sung.

                               "Hey, that's really good! Say, you can go places with that style! Your voice is a little high, but so is mine too from time to time. This might be a little too much, but do you mind if I take you to see my manager? He might want to do something for you."

                              "WHAT? You think I'm THAT good?" Zeke almost passed out.

                      "Yeah." Ritchie chuckled. "Come on, Bob's in the green room." Ritchie motioned Zeke to follow him.

                                                    NEXT: THE MEETING