Quest for the Power Jewel

On a bright sunny day in September on Earth, two girls strolled down the sidewalk toward their house, completely oblivious to what was happening in another dimension . Heather, an 11 year old, stopped suddenly, turning to her sister, Abbie.

“Hey, do you know what that is?” Heather had just gotten to her yard when she saw a faint glimmer.

 “What?” Abbie, Heather’s sister, said. “I don’t see anything.”

 “You’re just not looking hard enough,” Heather complained. “Tell mom I’ll be there in a second.”With that, she left to investigate the faint shining by the tree.

             After a few minutes of searching, she finally found the source. It looked like shiny purple liquid. She touched it and suddenly found herself in some random place she had never seen before. The portal had disappeared. She was just thinking about how much trouble she would be in once she got home when someone approached.

            “Hi, have you come for the festival? I’ve seen a lot of new people in town for it,” said a little person who almost seemed to be a cupcake. Her arms were small and her legs practically nonexistent. Heather was sure she was just seeing things, or maybe it was her imagination.

            “I’m Heather, but where am I? What’s this about a festival?” Heather questioned.

            “I’m Sophie. Every year, the king and queen ask someone to try to retrieve his grandfather’s stolen power jewel. We send them off with a celebration and if they come back with it, they will grant that person a wish,” she impatiently explained.

            “How come no one’s found it yet?” Heather wondered out loud.

            “Well, it’s pretty dangerous, since something evil probably stole it,” Sophie pointed out. “So where are you from?”

            “Umm… do you know where Earth is?”

            “Of course! Scientists said they had made something that connected the two places just a little while ago,” said Sophie, feeling a little insulted. “You’re not from there, are you?” she said in a disbelieving voice.

            “Yeah, I am, but I need to get back. Do you know how?” asked Heather.

            “Only the scientists would know. We could go ask them!” said Sophie helpfully.

            “That would be great.”

            They had been walking for half an hour before they saw the city. The sight of it was breathtaking. Sophie continued on unperturbed, then stopped when she realized Heather wasn’t following anymore. Instead, she was staring at an edible world. Everything looked like a cupcake, complete with icing, frosting, and multiple toppings. All of a sudden, she started running towards it. Sophie unsuccessfully tried to keep up on her much shorter legs. Soon, they arrived at the city gates, which loomed above them. They were let in, and continued toward the festival. As they walked towards it, they spotted the king.

            “Is that him?” asked Heather.

            “Isn’t it obvious?” pointed out Sophie. The king was surrounded by people trying to talk with him. Heather noticed Sophie’s degrading tone, but ignored her and went to join the throng of people. She managed to get close enough to talk to him.

            “Excuse me!” Although she had yelled, he hadn’t heard her. “I’m from Earth! Do you know how I could get back?” All around her, people gasped. The king quickly turned around.