Chapter 29: Prime Investigators

Ilia panted, almost falling over several times as she tore up the grated steps onto the surface. She was going to put as much distance between her and the damn hall, even if it meant everyone else fleeing to their bunkers were at the other end of the underground structure. That wasn't supposed to happen! Hine had been so sure they could take on the Transformer with their new abilities, and yet she had been more than they'd ever imagined. Ilia bit her tongue as she stumbled again, tasting metal in her mouth. Her heart rammed against her ribcage. She could barely see; Hine's surge was so bright she barely turned away in time. The rest had scattered like flies. The scent of Wyld, singed by her light bolts, lingered in the air, thick and unrelenting, making her stomach flip over and over and bile rise in her throat. His red-raw body would be forever seared in her mind.

She didn't meet a single other User as she fled. Perhaps the rest had taken refuge in the dormitories after their plan went up in smoke. She just knew she had to get out of there; the Transformer was incensed and Ilia wouldn't dare to cross her path again. She'd rather face death than her wrath. The energy control in the Transformer was so precise that Ilia, who'd just ejected a bolt of energy without any calculation, was mind-boggled. So that was what a true high-ranker was like. She was a fool to think a transplant could bridge that gap.

Brushing her loosening hair out of her face, she sighed in relief when the cracked walls that marked the exit came into sight. The scientist would never let her return alive knowing they'd failed to capture the Transformer. Ilia would leave this place, return to normality, and stick to her guns. No more weird experiments or kidnappings, no more chemicals and watching her dear friends surge and sacrifice everything. And certainly no more monsters. It wasn't worth it. This was all a huge mistake.

She slowed, her racing heart steadying somewhat. Freedom was in sight. She stuck her head out. The heavy red fog blurred her surroundings as usual, but they would fade when she reach Area Four. She would probably be caught by Peacekeepers for breaching curfew but at least if she were seen leaving school, the punishment wouldn't be so severe – and perhaps she could work on her homework tonight. She would work hard, become a proper citizen again. Her feet hit the cobbled ground and she dashed in the direction of the broken fence she could climb through.

A movement out of the corner of Ilia's eyes caught her attention. She whipped around, sliding to a stop. Shadows moved in the red mist. Escaped monsters? Other students? But no, the students wouldn't be here. The move to underground was for good; the scientist made sure of that.

Swallowing, Ilia produced a small bolt of energy, bathing her body in white light, and shot it at the moving shapes. They scattered.

Before she could produce a second, something shot out of the mist and snagged her arm. She tugged, and cried out in pain as the snares dug into her skin. The leash tugged taut and she fell onto her knees. Without warning, a shock of electricity coursed through her body. She shrieked, her eyes rolling in her head. Her convulsing body slammed repeatedly against the floor, producing grazes and cuts. Her limbs flailed, beyond her control. Pain tore through her every cell, followed by numbness and pins and needles. When the electricity stopped, she lay on the floor, drenched in sweat and panting. Her heart rammed against her ribs.

Humanoid shapes took form around her. At least five surrounded her. Humans! Ilia's relief was short-lived when she recognised the bright yellow hooded cloaks. Her throat tightened. Investigators.

"Identify yourself," demanded the Investigator whose lasso still gripped Ilia's wrist. Ilia gulped, her throat dry as the desiccants she used in organic chemistry. She shrieked again when the Investigator sent another jolt of electricity down the whip.

"Ilia, Cl-class 2A," she whimpered. The Investigator with the lasso turned to his companions and whispered something. The others exchanged dark looks and one of them fished out her tablet. A few quick taps on it produced a hologram of her class photo and details. Ilia didn't need to peek to know what was making them so grim.