chapter eighteen

"I'm. So. Peeved."

"Oh, yeah? Why?"

"Someone just spilled their drink, all over my dress."

"Ek."

"Where are you?"

"Talking to Ben and Jess, you?"

"Just came out of the bathroom.. I'm going home, I feel retarded now."

"Retarded? Learn vocabulary, girl."

"Stupid. I feel stupidly stupid."

"I don't even notice the drink on your dress.. Its red on red, hon."

"A different shade of red, Micheal."

She puts her phone down as he approaches, Micheal doing the same and stuffing it in his pocket.

"You still look beautiful all the same." He says to her, reaching out for her hand and lacing his fingers through hers. She smiles, greatful that his words can make her feel better. More comfortable.

"Thank you." She says, tugging on his hand. They walk to the doors of the school, hand in hand, and exit into the night, a cool breeze hitting them.

"It's surprisingly nice out.." Jackie mumbles to herself almost. Her eyes looking up to the sky. Micheal tugs her hand to make her face him.

"It is.." He agrees.

"Micheal, I-" Jackie started, trying to break the silence that was there. But her words were cut off by his voice and his hand, reaching up to tuck a loose strand of her brown hair behind her ear.

He smiles down at her, leaning close. "I know."

And then his lips meet hers.