Chapter Eleven: Trapped

Gatsby.

When the metaphorical dust settles, I'm alone in the back of a creep's van. Everything hurts. I curl into a ball and bury my face into the floor, the smell of blood and antiseptic so powerful my eyes water.

I tried screaming for help and all, but no one will save me. I know that now. So I just lie here, trying to form a plan as listen to the supervillains and their conversations. I have to escape. I can't wait for Galaxy to save me from these people. The vehicle jolts, throwing me against its side. I bite hard on the inside of my cheek and try not to cry.

I didn't mean to sacrifice myself for Heaven. All I wanted was to give her a shot at escaping. I knew she shouldn't have gone out, not with her powers weakened and not when those Snare folks wanted her. So I kicked around a few plastic plants in the lobby, cursed her name, and left to find her. I wouldn't be nice either. Maybe if I dragged her home, then she'd know how annoying her babying was.

But then I heard her scream. It made my blood go cold and every part of me tense up. Couldn't move if I tried. When that sinister supervillain laughter cut the air, by God, I ran so fast Speedy Gonzalez could eat my gravel.

A gang had cornered her in an alley, and I really, really tried to help her. No matter how mad I was for her being so bossy, I'd do anything to keep someone from hurting her. She was my best friend and I cared more about her than anyone in the whole world.

But I never expected this. I never expected they'd shrug her off and take me instead.

And, man, I can't stop shaking. I feel like someone socked me right in the gut. Hev and Angel and I had to cheat death and fight for every bloody second of our freedom.

And now, at least for me, it's gone.

I close my eyes and try to focus on the van's vibrations. I Wikihowed this stuff. As soon as I got home from the first ordeal, I flipped open my school-issued laptop and read every article on surviving a kidnapping. I had a feeling I'd get caught again. The adults were too easy on us last time we escaped, just letting us skip on our merry way with a wink and a smirk. Sure, Angel had Jay-Cat. Sure, he looked murderous and they couldn't risk their precious Catalyst. Sure, they probably thought she would've stopped us, but still. They knew it wouldn't be hard to get us back. And they weren't wrong. At least, not for me.

The van jolts again and I take note. Tip number six on that Wikihow article said to memorize how the terrain feels, so you can map it with your mind. Or something like that.

"Do you think she'll be okay?"

"Of course she'll be okay. So he knocked her out. If anyone won't be okay, it's the cat guy back there."

I remember how back in the costume store Angel punched that Electra lady and the henchmen said  the same thing. Now though, I'm alone and Angel isn't here to trip up my kidnapper. I want to scream, I want to cry, but mostly, I want to sleep. "I can hear you, you know," I mutter into the floor.

My brain aches. I'm always just a stupid consolation prize. When Cat lost Angel, she took me, just so she could have a prisoner to show for her bloody effort. And now this. If I'm going to be kidnapped, I'd at least like to be purposely kidnapped, not just, "Oh, hey! There's the dude who's a cat. Why not capture him for kicks."

"Aww, poor thing! He sounds so tired! Go to sleep, little pet."

I lift my head. "I am not your pet..." I'm not even angry. Just achy all over and desperate for a little shut-eye. I haven't slept since last night, but my eyes are pinned wide. A cat nap now will kill me.

"Oh! He's such a cute thing! What do you think Owl will do with him?"

"Hmm. Leverage, that's a given. Maybe she'll convert him over. He has to be useful somehow..."