10

Ebony sat in the driveway, staring at the house she had grown up in. Her eyes red and puffy from crying. This was all a hot mess. This was like a low budget drama come to life. She ran a hand down her face, making sure to wipe at her wet cheeks. She climbed out, slamming the door behind her as she walked toward the front door.

She unlocked the door and walked inside, hoping to find her mom. She didn't necessarily want to see her dad right now. She walked further inside, searching every room she passed until she came upon her mom, sitting in the living room with her reading glasses on, reading over a thick novel.

"Mom." She whispered.

Her mother looked up, meeting her eyes. She immediately closed her book and opened her arms, Ebony ran into them, sinking down onto the couch beside her. She cried in her mother's arms, telling her about all that had happened, begging her for a way out.

Her mother listened with open ears, hugging her close.

"Well, my goodness." Her mother managed after Ebony had told her the story. "This is...a lot more than anything I've ever dealt with."

Ebony sniffled but laughed. "I'll have to agree with that."

"Forget about your father and forget about Lawrence, what do you want?"

"I can't not think about it...this all started because of dad...because he threatened to buy the firm an-," her mother cut her off, "Honey, he can't buy the firm with such finality, he would have to put up an offer and even if it were something your father couldn't refuse, we would be fine. I've made your father put money away for rainy days. Someone has to have some sense and trust me when I say, mama has it."

Ebony stared at her mother before huffing, cupping her forehead in her hand. She was an idiot. She hadn't even remotely known that. She had been much too worried to think any of his words through. "But...but when I came over, I saw dad crying...I thought...," her words trailed off.

"Oh he was upset because he lost a case, it wasn't a big case or anything like that but your father has a bit of a complex when it comes to business. Everything is a big deal."

Ebony stood up, shock on her face. "I went through all of this for nothing? I thought that I was helping but this whole time, I was just being played with? I could be pregnant right now and it's all because I didn't realize how stupid this whole situation was?"

"You're pregnant?" A familiar voice boomed over her rant.

She gasped, turning to find her dad standing in the doorway, shock and anger written all over his face. Her mother immediately stood up and wrapped her arms around her.

"You and that...that hoodlum-," her dad tsked, "you let him get you pregnant? Girl I raised you better than this!"

"Thomas!" Her mother snapped at him.

He started to pace, the pissed look on his face not disappearing in the least. "I will not allow that boy anywhere near this house! The fact that you even slept with him...I swear I'll kill him!"

"Thomas you can't tell this girl who she can and can not sleep with. If she happens to want this young man than there is nothing or no one stopping her and that includes you."

Her dad turned to glare at his wife, "Patrice don't start with this!"

Her mother placed her hands on her hips, glaring right back. "No, don't you start!"

As they continued to argue back and forth Ebony lost it.

"Shut up! Shut up!" She screamed over them. They both looked at her like she was crazy.

"All of this has been so over done, we're going to work this crap out!"

She turned toward her father, staring him in the face, "I am not fourteen years old anymore, you can't tell me who I can or can not be with! You can not tell me how to live my life! And you will stop trying to control me!"

He just stared at her with shock on his face.

She released a shaky breath and headed for the door. Her mother followed after her, filled with concern. "Baby, he just worries about you, sometimes a little too much."

She stopped at the door and gave her mother a hug. "I know mom, everything will be okay. I'll be back later on, okay? Make sure daddy stays home, please?"

Her mom nodded, hugging her back. "Okay, I got you."

She walked out and hopped into her car, pulling out of the driveway with new resolve.

-----------------------------------------

She walked into the house, searching for Lawrence. She moved up the stairs and when she did not find him there she made her way back to the first floor. She stomped toward the kitchen and found him nursing a beer, the bottle still full as if he had taken one sip and no more.

"Lawrence." She said as he walked in.

He stood up straight at her entrance. His expression guarded.

"Let's get one thing, no scratch that, let's get everything straight." She started.

"You do not own me, I am not a deck of cards for you to play with. I have a say in all this shit and I will be heard!"

He stayed silent.

"You tricked me into this, you played with my weaknesses, with my love for my family! This whole time I was just a dumb little ploy in the middle of this crap and you knew it. You led me to believe that you were going to ruin my parents' lives!"

He sighed, slamming his beer down on the island, and leaning against it.

"You're not going to say anything?"

He tsked, "What do you want me to say? You've basically figured it all out, right? So, why should I say anything?"

"You've been screwing me over from the very beginning! Lawrence, you fucking lied to me, you manipulated me! You're a fucking asshole!"

He chuckled sardonically, "I've been screwing you over? Are you talking in the literal sense?"

"I'm not laughing!" She snapped.

"Fuck this shit." He mumbled. "Are you really so dense?"

"What are you talking about?"

"Fuck your dad, Ebony. Fuck him, fuck his problem with me for growing up on the poor side of time, fuck his superiority complex, fuck it all! You really think that I went through all this God damn trouble and careful planning just to get back at him? Are you crazy?" He finally snapped, "I'm not going to lie to you, I found so much satisfaction in knowing that I finally got my hands on what he tried to deny me but do you honestly think I went through all this for him? I did this for you, Ebony! I've always wanted you! And when I saw an opportunity to have you I took it!"