Chapter 2

Chapter 2

It wasn't ideal to start my morning by waking up to ten text messages and two missed calls followed by worrisome voicemails. But rather than rushing to find out what was going on, I stayed in my bed falling deeper into the comfort it brought. The sun wasn't there to greet me this morning. Turning over in my bed and peering out the window, I took notice of the grey clouds hovering in the sky indicating rain. Any other day I would have leaped out of my bed with admiration for this underappreciated weather. Today wasn't any other day though. There was an unusual, odd feeling hanging all around me. It wasn't a feeling I could easily shake off.

I pulled my blue and beige covers over my head while letting out a horrendous groan. I lacked motivation to do anything except to lay there. I knew nothing good would come once I left these warm satin sheets. However, despite the awful sensation, after another fifteen minutes of absolutely no movement except the swarming of my thoughts, I got up. Within the hour I was ready for whatever disaster awaited me, and it started with me checking my phone.

The trembling of my body didn't come in the waves it should have when you receive news like this, rather I cease to exist all together. Momentarily my heart wasn't racing, I could feel the pause of the blood flow throughout myself. Not a single thought weaved through my brain, like my mind had created a blockade so nothing could enter, no thoughts, no feelings. It wasn't a numbing sensation you get when you're terrified, and believe me I had never been quite frightened like this. Nothing. That was what I felt for a brief moment before reality wrapped its hands around my throat pulling me back.

The text messages had thrown me into a short state of shock, so when I pressed the phone against my flushed face, I already knew what was to come. She spoke frantically about the party she was at. Her words were rushed and heavy as she described the scene of the party. Parties had never sparked my interest. I was someone who would rather be in the studio than out drinking, it was a better use of my time.

I had known about this gathering for weeks, everyone had. The idea of this party had been building up for some time. It started with one nameless, irrelevant senior who boasted of throwing the most epic senior party. Of course no one believed him, however when rumors were spread of his extraordinary lifestyle that proved to be false, a few jocks wanted in and the talk of the party spread like wildfire. It didn't surprise me the least bit when my best friend, Danielle, announced that the cops shut down the chaotic social event of the year. What had snatched my attention away was who had been busted at this party.

I listened to the voicemail over and over again never truly grasping to the words being thrown at me. Calmly, I sat down on the edge of my bed with the harshness of his voice piling into my head. Once it was over and I had listened to the message another five times just to be sure I wasn't caught in a vicious nightmare, I dialed the number back.

"Hey, I'm glad you called me back," he said when he finally answered the phone. There was a particular tone to his voice that I picked up on immediately, and though we were merely on the phone, there was dramatic shift in the air between us.

"J.C, what's going on?" I couldn't have asked the question any faster. Something was going on, I had hunch as to what it was, but he didn't deny nor confirm my suspicions. 

"I'm fine, but I think we should probably meet up today." J.C wasn't acting like his usual self, then again I hadn't been myself for a while. I wonder if he had picked up on my odd behavior or if it was still flying over his head.

I shook the thoughts away and responded, "Yeah. We can meet at the diner on the corner." My heart was beating at an abnormal pace. In my free hand I felt the rumpling of my bed sheets. It was like if I didn't hold onto them this tightly I would lose the grip on everything else in my life along with my sanity.