Chapter Three

There was no doubt. Her new dress designs were certainly coming in handy. Now that she knew who Chad really was, she wanted to look good. Flaunting her figure, she wore the black knit dress with a lace hemline and ruching. It was flattering with her favorite western boots. And the DeLuca ring fit perfectly on her thumb and flashed brilliantly, reflecting in the mirror.

www.lovetheillusion.com/45.htm

She followed her heart on a long leash, while her brain had turned to mush.

When she stepped out of the cab, she felt uneasy as she walked up to the entrance of Night Owls. There were two young security guys standing outside the glass, double door entrance where she could see into a crowded room of people screaming and shouting.

“You got a pass?”

“A pass…? No, but Antonio said—”

Maggie suddenly realized his celebrity.

“You gotta have a pass…purple ticket with—”

“I have this,” she emphasized proudly, flashing her thumb at him.

“Oh!” they both sneered in almost a unison taunt. “Then I guess you’re in,” proclaimed the chubby bald one.

She glared at them while lending a sarcastic smile.

“Ouch, he’s got his hands full with that one!” she heard the other one comment in a feminine tone as she walked through the doors.

People were dancing to loud music in a room decorated in Vegas style glitz. Maggie shuffled through the crowd alongside the bar that stood against the wall to her right. Then she spotted him, his back turned, and she could feel people staring as she approached him.

Antonio turned to acknowledge her, and she felt her insides slipping when he declared, “You look…lovely.”

She scooted in between him and a bar chair, hoping to remain discreet.

“What do you want?” he asked her, casually looking to the bartender. But her mind was racing from the day’s events. “To drink?” he added, thinking he left her confused.

“I don’t know.” She stared at him, finding it hard to make even the simplest of decisions.

Antonio stood up straighter and called to the bartender who attended quickly. He ordered her a drink, with his hand cupped at his mouth to conceal his request. She watched with concern, as he tried to hold back a smile.

“What? You trust me, don’t you?” Antonio teased.

“Sure.” She shrugged, thinking she would rather be in his company drunk than by herself and sober.

“And I trust you!” he informed, looking at the ring that weighted down her thumb.

“Oh, yeah.” She made eyes at him. “And I suppose you were happy that I showed up so that you could get this back!” She started to remove it.

“No, you can wear that. You can wear this too.” He placed his hat on her head.

Maggie blushed, feeling like a spectacle. But she felt flattered to be in his company.

The bartender handed Antonio her drink, and he moved it in front of her. It appeared to be a cherry vodka martini.

Now a brunette with long straight hair and lots of pink lip gloss approached, wearing a souvenir t-shirt that had to be at least two sizes too small. Behind her stood a group of her friends that were too shy to approach.

“Can you sign the front of my shirt?” she asked, holding onto his arm.

Maggie watched him as he signed her sleeve. The girl flashed a flirtatious smile as she stared into his face. Antonio waved to her friends, and they giggled and took off. He turned back to Maggie.