Chapter 8: The Silence

We Three

If you cannot stop the sin-

Hide it.

If you are the sin-

It is the next morning when Sakura comes again, and luckily for Sai, Naruto is still asleep in bed.

"Listen, you asshole," her face is redder than before, Sai notes. Probably because she is angry, "I know you're Sai, okay? This is your new ANBU shop or whatever. Don't fuck with me; I'm missing school for this. I need to see Naruto,"

Sai regards her for longer than her patience allows, but he's feeling rather sadistic and just lets her stew in her frustration before replying.

"...You just missed him,"

"What?" she hisses.

"He had an early flight. I sent him to Iwa for some business,"

"When will he be back?"

"Oh, in a week I suppose," Sai says, hoping that's long enough for this girl to have to go back home.

She looks like her face might burst into flames.

"And he lives here?"

"He does,"

Sakura frowns; "With you... his boss?"

"Something like that,"

She studies his face a long time, and he gives her his best smile. It seems to piss her off more, which is confusing because Sai always thought smiles were supposed to help a situation, not hurt it. Or make it worse.

"I really need to talk to him," she says with careful calmness.

Ugly, he thinks spitefully.

"Maybe you'll catch him next time,"

"I'll be back in a week," she grits out.

"Sure; I'll let him know you stopped by,"

...Not.

He keeps smiling as she walks back down the same rejected path of the previous morning.

"What I feel for you seems less of earth and more of a cloudless heaven," –Victor Hugo

"I swear to god, if you tell me Naruto isn't here, I'm going to rip. Your. Head off,"

She's back again before Sai can even finish drying his hair from the morning's shower. Such a charming young lady.

"...he's asleep,"

"Wake him. The fuck. Up,"

Sai narrows his eyes at her. Can he really keep doing this? Will she really keep coming back until she gets to talk to Naruto? (Which Sai is really dreading, because something is telling him that whatever she has to say is going to scramble up every thing Naruto has managed to build within himself and grind it to dust).

"Don't you have school?"

"Coming from the guy who convinced Naruto to drop out?"

Sai thinks on that before raising an eyebrow at her; "Coming from the person who pushed him to consider it?"

Stab. Bull's eye. Hope that stings like a bitch.

"Just let me talk to him," she pleads, voice softer, wet with unshod tears.