Chapter ~ 8

~ Chapter 8: The Problem of Lýkos, Alphas, and Best Friends ~

The little Lýkos follows Clain and I as we search for Eaton, Tempest, and Anakin. I hope wolves was the only thing after us and that huge tree-crashing creature wasn't coming our way. I hope no one got stepped on. The most pressing question, or agitation though is, why is he – or she – following us? Do I just attract the strange ones or something?

Cai.

Clain.

And now this little squirt.

Really?

To make my self-pity worse, it starts raining and I'm starting to freeze. November plus frigid down-pour equals Popsicle Smoke. That does not sound like a dessert I'd want to eat.

"Cai," I moan. "Wake me up. Or do something. I'm beyond crazy right now."

"I wonder what that's called." He muses. "Is there a 'beyond crazy'?"

"Whatever it's called, I'm there."

"Huh... strange thought. Can you be crazier than crazy?"

"Cai, my brain is much too tired for this."

"You asked me to talk to you. So I am."

"Ugh... I regret it. Leave me alone."

Cai chuckles. He does all of this on purpose and it drives me... me... crazier than crazy – which isn't a thing.

"Keep straight. They're just up ahead."

"Cai, I'll run into a tree if I go straight."

"Well, avoid the tree and then continue on."

"Thanks." Unhelpful, fat lard.

"You're very welcome."

A few minutes pass before the little wolf whines and Clain stops. Eaton walks out of the high luminescent flowers in his huge silver Werewolf glory. The strange light emitted from basically everything growing, makes his coat glaringly bright; like a star that blew up. The little wolf growls slightly but continues to coward a safe distance away. Anakin arrives a moment later, his horse breathing hard.

I drop from Clain and lean into his shoulder at the warmth he gives. Of course he ruins it by stepping on my toe.

"Ouch, ouch." I hop around for a moment cradling my crying foot. "That hurt."

Eaton chortles in his wolfish way. I glare at him. He glares right back until the little Lýkos draws his attention once more. Something snaps and Eaton snarls at the small creature. The sound makes me want to fight back even though it's directed toward the Lýkos. It's from the way his Alpha voice sticks with me. Which probably explains why this little runt is following me. I made him (her) submit, and now it's found a small pack.