Chapter 28 - Assembled

-Jacqueline's P.O.V-

“Guys…”

As I looked around me, I saw that the rest of our so-called team was displaying the same bewilderment that I was feeling. But I knew none of us could afford to waste time, so it was only a few seconds after the monster above us passed that we again sprang into action, dodging fire from the horde of on-foot Chitauri now closing in on us.

“Stark, are you seeing this?” Steve asked into his com after deflecting a beam of fire with his shield. It reflected back instantly, zapping out the Chitauri soldier it had come from.

“Seeing, still working on believing,” was Stark’s somewhat hesitant reply. He then added, “Where’s Banner? Has he shown up yet?”

My breath caught at mention of Bruce. I put an index finger to my ear. “…Banner?”

“Just keep me posted.” Tony answered. As he’d said this, I jumped behind Evangeline to shoot down an approaching Chitauri out of her line of sight, keeping myself steady this time as the energy pulsed through my veins. I was slowly becoming more accustomed to moving more naturally, and it was…empowering. This was what I was made for after all, wasn’t it?

The Chitauri I shot at fell rather easily for me, which was definitely an advantage; this meant I didn’t need all that much effort at one time. My own struggle, however, was trying to teach my body to adjust to the shift in force needed in such a short time of learning to use it at all.

I took down a few more in the immediate area, as Evangeline and I synched our movements surprisingly well without saying a word to each other. When we’d taken down the small group, she glanced over at me with an approving nod.

“Not bad,” she smirked, but before I could reply we were being shot at yet again, this time heavier. I ducked to avoid a shot, and while staying low to the ground made my way to take shelter behind an abandoned taxi that had been flipped on its side. Steve made a dash toward us, crouching next to Natasha and me after quickly glancing up the length of the street. He nodded toward Clint, signaling him. “There’s still civilians trapped up there—“

“Wait. Loki.” I interrupted him, and lifted my head as a flash of green rushed over our heads on some sort of Chitauri vehicle, along with an entourage of other soldiers. Following his passing were multiple explosions being set off both up and down the street, and the sound was ear-splitting despite Steve covering our heads with his shield as rubble flew around us. I inhaled sharply at the sudden ducking movement I’d made, which sent a jolt of pain running down my spine. I was still pretty badly injured, but I’d forgotten about it in the middle of battle. I had no choice but to stand from our hiding place to ease it. I scanned the streets where the explosions had been set off, seeing a small fire started among the debris several yards away.

Natasha followed suit, and jumped up to shoot a couple of the stray soldiers coming our way before we both ducked down again.

“We’ve got this,” Natasha stated, looking over to Steve.

Evangeline nodded, pointing a thumb down the street to a place where we’d seen large groups of people were trapped in buildings in one of the more dangerous areas of the battle. “We’re good, Cap. Go.”

A sudden blast near us forced Clint and I to move; we dodged the blow and were now sheltered behind a vehicle a few feet across from the others in the group.

“You think you can hold them off?” Steve asked to no one in particular, but glanced to Clint.

For some unknown reason, I found myself letting out a silent huff of laughter. Clint noticed this, and with a small smile he stood abruptly, notching an arrow into place on the bow he now carried without a second thought.