Bad Things Happen In Threes

Your Fired.

The two words that most people believe they would never here, especially at 8:30 on a Monday morning.

Unfortunately this is how my story starts out. My boss, a greying old man wearing the latest fashions of the age is sitting at his desk, with the coeditors on his team sitting right beside him. One being a woman who's wrinkles, if they were any more pronounced would have made her look as though she is practically melting into a puddle right in front of you.

The other, a younger male who's snarky grin and  cheeky additude makes everyone within a kilometer radius, want to keel over and hurl up their latest meal.

Makes you wonder how on earth he had managed to snag such a position.

"B-but Mr. Wellish I have brought the oppurtunity of so many...creative and distinguished writers to your door step I-" I stutter trying to regain back my dignity and sanity, that was currently flying out the window and down the street into the gutter with every passing second.

"I'm sorry Victoria but we just don't have the funds to keep you on staff as it is" Mr. Wellish sighs trying to deflate the situation. Mary, the older woman beside him nodding in agreement, her eyes filled with no sympathy.  

I stood there stunned. One look at his office and the contents of his jacket pocket and you can tell that he definitely had the funds to keep me on the board and then some.

"Now I will give you time to pack your things and leave quietly." I feel like the room has suddenly gotten to small and that my legs are beginning to feel to heavy.

"Y-your firing me" I choked out, putting a hand to my forehead my eyes starting to burn from unshed tears.

I loved my job. I was working with one of the highest publishing companies in the city and now all of that was being thrown away.

"I am terribly so-" I held up my hand stopping from Mr. Wellish from finishing his sentence.

"Don't say another word-you're-you are all going to regret this." I snapped my anger finally replacing the sense of loss building inside of me.

"You just wait!" I glared, turning on my heel and storming out of his office, slamming the door closed behind me. Ignoring the curious looks of the people I worked-used to work with as I made my way to my office.

When I was alone inside I felt the tears well up and spill over, probably ruining my make up in the process.

Suddenly the door opened and I turned to see my best friend slip inside a look of worry etched onto his face.

"Oh worm what the hell happened?" Kevin breathed closing the door behind him. A sob slipped out of my mouth as i ran to him, throwing my arms around his neck.

"T-they fired me!" i cried into his shoulder. His arms camed up around me holding me to his chest. "They fired you?!" he repeated his voice laced with surprise and anger.

"T-they said that they didn't have the funds to k-keep me on staff any longer." I choked, pulling away slightly so I could look into Kevin's green eyes.

"No funds my ass!!! Lacey's getting a fucking promotion and a big salary along with it!" He growled.

My mouth dropped. "They choose Lacey?" I whispered my voice quiet.

"yeah and she's flaunting it to everyone within hearing distance." He grumbled. Kevin and Lacey had a fling when there was an office party a few  months back. He regreted that night every single day.

"That's it! I'm going to talk to that boss of ours and ask him to reconsider! He can't fire you" he huffed, turning on his heel and making his way to my office door.

I gasped running past him and stopping him from leaving. "No! Kevin you can't!!!" I shouted making him jump in surprise.

"What do you mean I can't?! Just move worm, I'll get your job back" he reassured moving to open the door.

I slapped his hand away from the door handle. "I said no!" I snapped.

"Ow!" Kevin whined. "Then why the hell not?" he glared.

"You'll loose your job too if you confront Mr. Wellish like that" i hissed crossing my arms over my chest.

"So? better than working with that hag of a woman" He grumbled.

I sighed letting out a small giggle. "I told you not to sleep with her" I motioned.

"Yeah, I wish I could blame it on the alcohol but unfortunately I was sober enough to remember the whole night...with clarity might I add" he grimaced.

I shuddered pretending to wretch. "Uh I did not need a mental image" I swallowed.

We sobered up after that all laughter leaving us. "Are you sure you don't want me to talk to him?" Kevin offered.

I nodded. "Yeah I doubt you can find another job that will hire you. Better be safe then sorry." I murmured patting his suit covered chest with amusement.

"Ouch worm! serious ouch!! I thought I was your friend?" He chuckled

I made a thinking face before shrugging. You're okay." I laughed feeling better.

He playfully hit me on the shoudler. "You big meanie" he grumbled making me laugh. "Do you want some help packing?" he smiled sadly.

I nodded my smile dropping as well.  

2 hours later and Kevin and I were strolling down the street carrying my boxes from my office. My heels hooked in my fingers, while i walked barefoot around Manhattan.

"Where the hell am I going to find another job that pays this good?" I wailed, stomping my foot, catching the eyes of people walking past on the street.

"I mean like this was my dream job, Kevin. What am I going to do after this? Sort newspapers? Or maybe grind coffee beans?"

"Okay now you're just being dramatic. Don't worry worm, you'll find something. I have faith in you" Kevin comforted, nudging me with his shoulder.

I smiled thankful to have such a good friend. "Well I guess the day can't get any worse can it?" I breathed.

Oh boy was I wrong. It so happens that the day could have gotten a lot worse and it did.