Chapter One

(A/N : Hey everyone! This is my first story on wattpad. I really hope you enjoy it! I'm hoping to keep my updates regular so that you won't be waiting too long! Thanks for even getting this far in the story lol! I just want to mention that I do not own the Hunger Games or any associated ideas, all rights go to Suzanne Collins. This is a fanfiction written for enjoyment.)

Cold air rushs around me,I feel goosebumps form on my arms and a shiver run down my spine. My eyes are heavy,I try and drag them open and I get a glimpse of my mother's face.

'Anna,Anna,' she whispers. 'Come,we must run.' Panic is written across her face.

'W-what?' I ask,confusion rushing into my brain,'why..'

'No time for questions,it's time...it's time.....Anna! It's time to wake up!'

My eyes open,for real I guess this time,but I still see my mother standing beside me.

'Goodness,Anna,you should know by now we have to get up this early. Time to milk the cows.' she mutters,frowning.

'Oh yeah,' I reply,still a bit confused with the dream I just had.

I get out of my bed and put on my t-shirt and jeans. My boots slide easily onto my feet and up my legs,my jacket folding in around my chest. The day has begun.

I follow my mother out our small front door,and we walk in silence for a few minutes on the dust trail that will take us to the cow's shed. I live in Disrict 10,the district that produces livestock for the Capitol.

'You slept well,I assume?' she asks,a slight smile on her face.

'Yeah,I guess,' I reply with a laugh. 'Is Layson awake?'

'Not yet. I thought I should let him sleep today.' Her voice gets quieter towards the end of the sentence. I know why. Even the mention of what day it is today makes each and everyone's stomach churn.

I nod in reply and decide to change the subject. We talk until we reach the cow shed. I begin to milk the cows,feeling the small ache of sadness I always do when I realise this is the last time they'll be milked,they're last morning waking up. They are being sent to the slaughterhouse this evening.

We struggle back to the house as we are pulling a cart of 20 bottles of milk. It is only 6:30am. Mabey Layson will be awake by now,he is like my mother,gets no sleep when he is nervous,ironically,I am the complete opposite.