Chapter 16

lots of thanks to all of those who vote and comment! it means a lot to me :D 

happy reading x

------------

Chapter 16

“So.”

Rachel drops onto the seat across from me. Her bag thumps onto the table, nearly knocking over my tray of food. I send her a warning glare and she takes it off, putting it on the empty seat beside her.

“So,” she starts again.

I raise an eyebrow and wait for her to continue.

“You didn’t say anything about your date with Jace,” she says, eyeing me accusingly as if I kept her from some big life-changing secret.

“You didn’t ask,” I tell her.

She narrows her eyes. “I tried to but you never picked up.”

I sigh deeply and look her straight in the eyes. “How sad…is it that we rely almost entirely on these tiny blocks of plastic and metal called cell phones? What has the world come to? Back in the day when I wanted to talk to somebody, I paid a nickel a minute standing out in the heat using the public telephone. Or worse, I put on my tattered leather shoes and—”

“Oh shut up,” she says, digging her cell phone out of her purse. “You turned off your phone on purpose.”

Well if she’s not going to listen to my words of wisdom…

“Are you going to get something to eat?” I ask, changing the subject.

“I’m not really hungry,” she says. Which is also code for sorry-I’m-on-a-diet. I could never understand how someone can sit in the middle of just about a million restaurants and not feel compelled to eat something.

“It’s almost lunch time,” I tell her.

“So?”

So, you better be hungry or else you’ll be lining up for hours and I'm not going to wait for

“Hey you’re the one who suggested we meet up here!”

I drop my fork onto my plate and openly stare at her. “Are you mental? You’re the one who called me at an illegal hour this morning and forced me to come!”

It’s true. Today’s one of the only Mondays in the year that the teachers had some sort of workshop where students got a day off. It’s supposed to be a nice and relaxing day. But what I am doing? Sitting in a food court wasting my money on over-priced fast food when I could be eating a nice healthy sandwich and sleeping in at home.

“Maybe I did,” she sighs, “but—”

“Rachel go get something to eat because I know in 15 minutes you’re going to be hungry and by that time the lines will be miles long and I’m not sharing,” I say firmly.

“But—”

“Go or I swear I will leave you.”

With a dark look, she pulls her wallet out of her purse and stalks off to get her lunch. Within seconds she’s lost in the crowd of people that’s already filling the food court.

“Some day you’re not going to have any friends left.”

I turn around quickly and spot Cameron smirking down at me with Michael Lee, Kevin, and to my dismay, Josh. Smiling at each of them, except for Josh of course, I focus back on Cameron.