Chapter Three

Recap:

I look around the room and everything was just awkward, or well it was for me. “What are you names?” I ask to make it less awkward.

They look at me weirdly and I just returned their looks with an expectant look. “Maree.” The girl who looked a bit like me finally said, as she sat down on a bed. “Leslie.” The second girl said.

I notice a third bed, so I put my bag on the end of it and sit on it. I look through my stuff and notice that I didn’t pack a book or anything.

I lie down on the bed after a while, put my hands behind my head and think about everything. I think that whatever reason Elsie has us here for isn’t good and I also think about how much my life has changed in the past twenty-four hours. My thoughts drift off to wondering, what will Micki and Rohnan think of me leaving without a goodbye and how am I going to keep in contact with Jane, I don’t have a mobile phone or access to the internet and I doubt Elsie will let me use her phone (if she has one) to call Jane.

After a few hours of thinking about everything, I drift into peaceful sleep.

Chapter Three:

“Everyone wake up!” I shoot right up out of bed and see Elsie standing at the door of the room. “I’m glad you are all finally awake.” She says with no emotion. I don’t think I have ever seen Elsie show any emotion, ever in the three weeks that I have been living in this house hold, so it is nothing different. I have never left the basement in that time.  Each day, Elsie comes in, to drop off a girl or two that she has either adopted or picked up off the street and to get us girls pampered, for what, I don’t know. At the end of the week Elsie would come in the morning to choose seven girls to go with her, and those girls never come back. No one knows where they go except for Elsie.

We all sit up groggily, still tired from being woken up too early in the morning. Today is the day that Elsie will pick seven girls to go somewhere and never come back. “Well up into a line now girls, I don’t have all day!” Elsie says.

We all get into a line near the door and we wait for her to choose who she wants to go with her.  After a while of picking and choosing she points at six girls and looks at the last three of us; there is always one or two girls left, rarely three. But in this case there will be two left.

Elsie looks at me, then to the red head next to me and then the brunette next to her. Suddenly Elsie points at me. Shock and fear run through me as I step forward to follow the other girls that have been picked, out the door that I walked into three weeks ago.

Elsie makes us stand against a wall as she explains everything to us. “Okay girls, today is the day you need to be at your best, look beautiful, go into a bathroom to do whatever you need to do. Shave/wax, brush your teeth, shower, anything and everything. Everything that you will need is in the bathrooms. As for make-up, I have many shades of everything so you will just need to find your shade. When you have done all that, come out and come to me, I will give you your dresses, jewellery and shoes. When you have completely gotten ready come out and come up to me again so I can approve or disapprove of how you look. If I approve then you will go out that door,” She says while pointing at a door on the opposite side of the room and she continues to talk, “Then you will wait until all of the girls are done. When all of you girls are done you will follow me. Okay, now go get ready.”

With that all us girls went to a bathroom and Elsie went and sat on a couch. I walk into the last bathroom in the row of bathrooms to see make-up set up on the bench as well as wax strips and hair dye (if you need to fix re-growth or something). I just strip out of my clothes and jump straight into the shower. The first think I do is wash my hair that needed a good clean. Once my hair is clean I wash my body with the honey and milk scented body wash that was in the shower.  Then I do what I haven’t done in a while, Shave. I shave all the areas on my body that need to be shaved.