Risk Takers

Your PoV:

You lost. Mephisto now owned you for an entire day, most likely until tomorrow at four fifteen PM, the time at which you had first agreed to this mess. At the moment it was a quarter till five according to your watch.

"How about we get some dinner?" He leaned over closer to you, staring intently at you.

"I'm not in any position to refuse your offer, Mephisto, and it sounds nice actually."

"Glad you already know your place. I'll be cooking Little Demon Oatmeal tonight; it's my specialty." He stood up and held out a hand to you.

"That sounds interesting," you said as you got up, "an-" your voice stopped as he locked arms with you.

"And what, darling? I can't read minds in this form, you know." He chuckled lightly.

You didn't have the chance to answer him as a loud boom of thunder crashed overhead along with a flash of lightening coursing through the living room. You tensed up and almost stumbled as you tried to calm your breathing back down.

"Are you alright?" He gave you a concerned look and intertwined his fingers with yours.

"Y-yeah, I'm fine, sorry," you wearily smiled up to him, "don't worry yourself over me, okay?"

He looked you over, probably checking for anything physically wrong that was visible.

"...are you afraid of thunder and lightning, (F/n)?"

You paused, and then nodded your head. The memory still haunted you to this day. "My mother died in a thunderstorm." You finally felt that telling someone might help you get the burden off your mind. "The rain was roaring and the thunder was deafening. We didn't hear the car coming around the corner, but at the last moment she saw it coming and shoved me to the curb, getting run over herself." You choked as tears began to well up at the thought. "And I..." You tightened your grip around his arm and pressed up against his side. Another crack of lightening flooded the room; you threw your arms around him and buried your face in his chest. "I don't know why she saved me; I don't deserve to be here. I'm just another useless person taking up space and getting those under me hurt unnecessarily." He wrapped his arms around you in an embrace. "I don't understand why any of you would want me around in the first place." You broke down entirely and tears streamed down your face, leaving large wet marks on the white material of his suit.

He rubbed your back in a soothing manner. "Shhh, it's okay, (F/n), I'm here for you."

Mephisto's PoV:

I couldn't understand what she meant; everyone had a reason for living, right? I lived here in Assiah to have a good time, father lived for power, and everyone I knew had their own sense of purpose and hopes; never had I heard of someone who didn't have a reason. I wasn't sure what to say, so I rubbed her back a little as an apology. I felt tears seep through my overcoat.

"Shhh, it's okay, (F/n), I'm here for you." I've never had to comfort anyone before, so I only had hope to cling on to for it to work. "You're here because your mother loved you; she wanted you to live your life to the fullest. Knowing that you would live was enough to make her entire life worthwhile at that exact moment." I felt her grip tighten around me. "You're one of the most brilliant exorcists in your class; if it weren't for you, many of your friends wouldn't be here today. You're not worthless; you're a treasure to us." I tilted her head up to face me and I wiped away the remaining tears from under her eyes. "There's no need to cry anymore, darling. Let that memory serve as a motivation now, the present is waiting for you." I moved my hands from her back to her own and bent down so I was at her eye level. "You can't change the past, but you can shape the future as you please, so make the most of it." A smile formed on her face, sending a wave of relief over me.