*Chapter 5: Trust

Chapter 5:

Trust

            The coming morning Evangeline woke up as she usually did. She went about her normal morning routine, this time not bothering to flash herself a smile in the mirror or prepare breakfast before leaving her apartment. It felt so strange not having Penny beside her as she made the trek to the university campus, her eyes cast down to the ground in an attempt to shield them from the blowing wind. She zipped her coat up more and dug her hands into her pockets as her feet finally made contact with the ground of the university. No one stopped to say hello to her as she made her way to the studio arts building, though that was nothing out of the ordinary. She never stuck out and always kept her head down, never wanting to draw attention to herself.

            As she entered the art building she caught the sound of a twinkling laugh she knew all too well and turned towards the source of the sound. There, sitting next to a group of people in the lobby, was Penny. She was smiling and laughing as if nothing was wrong, as if she’d never been attacked by a blood thirsty leech two days ago, and although Eva was happy to see her friend alive and well it pulled a little at her heart.

A boy in the group leaned over to penny, his eyes locked on Eva, and whispered something into the mocha skinned girl’s ear causing her to turn her head and lock eyes with Eva for a moment. Penny gave Eva a strange look, one of recognition, as if she knew she’d seen the long haired girl before but was unable to remember how. Seeing Penny getting ready to confront her Eva repressed her desire to wrap her arms around her only friend, and with tears threatening to spill, she nodded a greeting to Penny and continued on her way.

            Like always, upon entering her class, she locked eyes with the mohawked boy. He looked over every inch of her, taking notice of her sadness. Eva thought he looked concerned for her but shook the thought away before moving to her seat. Her classes passed quickly after that and she was once again out in the cold walking down the crowded sidewalks to her apartment. She was glad when she entered the small warm quarters, though the warmth of the apartment did not dispel the chill from her heart. No, that chill would take a long time to fade away, possibly a week or so if her prior experiences were any reference to go by. ~*~

            From what she could remember she had always had problems making friends. The other children seemed to be repelled by her, wanting nothing to do with her. It was like they could smell she was different, like there was something engrained in their underdeveloped brains that could sense the differences in others. Then there were those that would become close with her and end up leaving her alone. Her mind recalled the boy she knew at one of her old schools. Kevin was his name. They’d become good friends and when he’d hurt his knee she’d healed it for him. He looked at her like she was a monster and never talked to her again. They ended up moving because of what she’d done. It got the attention of a guild of hunters who’d been tracking her before. Her Gran berated her for her actions for weeks after their move.

In the end it didn’t make a difference if Bertrand was around her or not, she would always be a freak that normal people feared and because of that a life filled with friendship and warmth would be forever denied to her. She wanted to cry at the realization she’d come to but her eyes would not allow her to spill anymore tears. She was so tired of crying…tired of being lonely…tired of being cold…she was just tired.

“I may not have be well versed on the behavior of humans, however I don’t recall that expression being one of contentment,” Eva’s ears perked at the familiar voice and she turned to see Bertrand stationed in a chair that had been unoccupied not long before, wisps of black smoke evaporating in the air above their heads as he stared at her in what she could only describe as concern. “Are you alright my angel?” he asked, the concern she saw upon his face noticeable in his voice as he gazed upon her.