Chapter 16: In Which It's Finally over

Chapter 16:

In Which It's Finally Over

It took awhile for Eva to return to the waking world. At first it felt as if her head was enveloped in cotton but slowly her ears could focus on sounds and her other senses sharpened. Slowly she sat up looking around in disdain at the room around her. Just as she feared she was still in Payne manor bound to The Executioner. The creator who took everything from her. Her eyes reluctantly landed on Bertrand by the closet zipping up a bag. He turned and gave her an adoring smile that made her want to stake him then and there but she refrained. At the moment he knew nothing about her returning memories. If she wanted to maintain the element of surprise she needed to play along, no matter how much she loathed to.

"You've been asleep for three days Angel," he cooed as he moved her chin to look at him. She allowed her eyes to lock with his. Before staring into those crystal blue orbs brought nothing but fond memories of days spent together wrapped in a loving embrace. Memories that were penetrated into her mind without her consent to make her his complacent, obedient, bride.

"I...What happened?" she asked trying her hardest to sound confused.

"I would like to know that as well," he said sternly inspecting her critically as she gazed at him.

"I...I was painting and then we went to bed," she said trying to be as vague as possible.

"Do you remember what you painted?" he asked, his eyes watching her even more closely as he awaited her answer.

She sat there, casting her eyes to the floor as she normally did when deep in thought, trying to make it seem like she was trying to remember. "I don't..." she looked up at him then, her brows knitting together as she locked eyes with him again. "What did I paint?" she asked him.

He relaxed slightly shaking his head. "Nothing Angel," he answered making her want to vomit when he called her that dreaded nickname. "I have to be leaving soon," he said catching her attention.

"Where are you going?" she asked trying to keep the excitement out of her voice. With him gone she'll have a chance to escape.

"The council has moved up their annual check in with me," he said in irritation. "I will be away for almost a week," he saw the concerned look on her face and smiled, placing a kiss to her forehead. "Don't worry you will be perfectly safe here."

There was a knock on the door then and Bertrand moved to let in their visitors. Will and Lisette stepped in, each bowing to their sire before bowing to Eva as they always did. "Will and Lisette will keep you company and attend to your needs while I am away," he said as he picked up his bag. "I'm afraid I don't have time to say goodbye to you properly Angel." a devious smirk formed on his face. "But that means my homecoming will be all the more exciting." And with that he was gone. She repressed the urge to vomit at his words. She needed to be out of here ad soon.

"So your memories have returned," Will stated after a long moment, making sure Bertrand was well out of ear shot before choosing to speak.

"Yes," she answered as she stood from the bed, her legs shaky from the lack of use. "I suppose I have to thank for that?"

Will shrugged the smirk still firmly fixed on his face. "Well when I discovered His Lordship would be leaving I knew we had to help things along."

"So now that I'm back to normal why don't you guys tell me why you're helping me," she said as she moved to the closet to find something comfortable to wear. When she was unable to find anything she was forced to throw on another one of the infernal dresses Bertrand had filled her closet with.