Chapter Ten

"Come on in," welcomed my grandmother, oblivious to the inner turmoil that was currently wreaking havoc on my nervous system.

I couldn't conceal my look of unease.

"Why thank you, I'd love to but I'd rather speak to Lilly out here if you don't mind," she said, smiling a breathtaking smile.

The young woman had a smooth musical voice that no one could refuse. My grandmother nodded and opened the door wider before retreating some, "Would you like something to drink..."

The stranger filled in the blank, "Anastasia. And no thank you."

"Ok well you guys have a nice time!"

So her name was Anastasia. As my grandmother left us I walked out and closed the door behind me.

"Hello Lilly Stone, such a pleasure to meet you," she said sounding sincere and polite.

I didn't let my guard down just yet, "You-you're one of them aren't you," I managed to state it as a fact rather than a question.

She understood me exactly, not bothering to beat around the bush, "Yes, but whether you know exactly what 'them' is, we shall see."

She beckoned me to the sidewalk, "Care for a walk?"

She said it as if I had a choice, I followed her quietly. It was dark now, the street lamps providing the only source of light. Our house was on a dead-end street which only four houses called home, so I didn't have to worry about many people watching us from their windows, plus Beth wasn't home. We walked a decent distance from my house before she talked again.

"My name is Anastasia, Lilly, and I was sent here to retrieve you."

I stopped walking, "Retrieve? Like take me away?"

She nodded, stopping too, "Only temporarily I'm afraid. But before we begin all that, let me first congratulate you Lilly on your passing of our test!" She grinned genuinely, "We have had a team around the clock following your every move and not once did you say a word about the fair and such. It must have taken great restraint for you, and I must say that you have proven trust-worthy, and for that we are grateful. Your discretion has made this process somewhat easier," She smiled at me thankfully.

She then glanced back at my house before acknowledging me again, "Oh and I've been meaning to ask, how in the world does a beauty like you live such a mundane life? I mean doesn't planting tomatoes bore after a while?"

I managed to laugh at her honest curiosity, while blushing... so I had been under constant watch...

"There we go; I have been told that laughter is a good place to start, even in the most difficult of conversations. But if it will last, we shall see," she began walking again and I followed suit.

"So by now I know that you are aware of your abnormality, hence my being here in the first place. Being that you fail to be 'influenced' nor swayed by us in any context. But before I continue on, would you mind if I tried my luck at it?" she talked casually but I knew she was eager.

My abnormality? I sighed, "No, go ahead, maybe if I'm lucky you'll get it to work."

She nearly jumped with excitement, "Thank you, just look at me ok."

I complied; she had pretty mocha eyes with a beauty mark just under her right one. She looked at me intently and I tried my best not to blink too much. She began to utter the foreign words Lucian Vernicillo had used on me previously, and once again I felt nothing. I almost felt bad, something inside of me wanting to please her. After what seemed like another minute, she gave up.