Chapter Twenty

Thank you for all your support and comments and please enjoy the next chapter. As always, let me know what you think. I love reading your comments and seeing where your thoughts are leading you. Just to let you know, I may not be able to update until next week, I'm going to go visit my family in my hometown for my birthday on Saturday. (I'll be a quarter of a century old!) I'll have access to the internet but I'll probably be too busy chasing my darling nephew and nieces around. I'll try, but no guarantees.

Also, the video posted is What Connects Us by Manos Pirovolaki. Writing this story is making me fall in love with Greek music.

Finally: *Warning* but not bad. She just gets punished. I guess you could consider it a light punishment compared to some of the others.

Great. Now enjoy!

***

**| Sang's POV |**

I was making breakfast so I could take my pain medication when Dad came back home. He was supposed to be here yesterday evening but I wasn't surprised when he never came back. I kept waiting for the day he left and never returned.

He came into the kitchen, looking exhausted. He didn't even look at me or say anything. He just filled up a mug of coffee. I used that moment to slowly look him over. He was so much older than I remembered, extra lines around his face. His hair was going grey and in a few more years, would be completely grey. Premature grey. He was still young, being in his early forties, but years of dealing with Diane, Volto, and his job was taking a toll on him.

When Dad turned around, he realized I was standing there, staring at him.

"What is it?" he finally asked, his eyes flickering to the door where his escape route was.

I swallowed and answered him. "There was a break-in Tuesday night. Volto."

His eyes widened and he looked around the house as if expecting to see it in disarray.

"What happened?"

"He tried to kidnap me."

He looked me over and after a moment, grunted. "You look fine to me."

"Two cracked ribs."

He nodded.

"Can I call the police now?"

His eyes narrowed at me and I suppressed a shiver. I was so used to his blank expression that when he did show anything, it freaked me out. "You know how I feel about the police. Don't worry, I'll handle it."

"Of course."

Like he's handled it for the past five years.

He ignored me and left the kitchen. A few seconds later, I heard his bedroom door close. I ate the omelet I made, took my pain medication, and cleaned up the kitchen.

I did my chores, cleaning the house, moving slowly.

An hour later, Dad came back out. "I'll be back tomorrow. An alarm will be installed later today," he said and then was out the door. Not long afterwards, I heard Maria skulking in with her book bag.

She glared at me. "Πόρνη (slut)," she said before going into the living room. I heard her go into Diane's bedroom and a few minutes later she came back out, going upstairs to her room.

"Sang, get your ass in here," Diane screeched from her bedroom and I winced.

I took my time going to her room and when I got close by, I made sure to step where one of the creaking boards were.