Chapter Ten - Chimera's Lullaby

The Nutcracker Bleeds 

                                                                     Chapter Ten:

                                                                 Chimera’s Lullaby 

                                                                                1 

                The grate was closed, and it was much too heavy for Anne to move.  This was the place Armand had let her out of the warm dark of the shafts, and by those passages was the only way she knew how to get back into the Lady’s – Olivia’s – room.     

                Behind her, the child doll watched quietly. 

                The former nanny actually had no idea how she would help this child become un-lost, but the hallway was clear of whatever had been after her beforehand, and at least she had room to think.  

                “I’m very sorry for all this, ma’am,” she heard the girl say quietly. “I do hope it isn’t too much trouble…” 

                Anne turned to look down on the child that stood as tall as her waist.  She was designed to be around the age of eight, Anne would guess.  Even though the girl’s eyes were made of glass that presented strikingly blue irises, the woman could see the fear and concern in them. 

                Anne didn’t much like children anymore – not after Olivia – but she still had her instincts and her conscience.  She was appalled by the way she’d been treated by the other toys from the start, nearly spit on by them!  It would not do for her to treat one of them that way for no discernable reason. 

                “Oh no, it’s quite alright,” Anne said with a pleasant smile. “I know what it feels like.  I’m a bit lost myself and I’m sure it will make us both feel better if we stick together.” 

                There.  She’d said it.  And when the girl smiled up at her graciously, she almost thought she meant it. 

                She gave her attention to the hallway then, looking around for somewhere to go.  She didn’t know what was lurking there – and that was a troubling thought – but Anne knew she couldn’t remain in the same spot either. 

                Her eyes came to rest on the stair that led to the third floor – stairs that she’d conquered many times in her stay in this house.  They did in fact lead to the domain they wished to find sanctuary, but the only issue was whether or not they could actually get in that way.  The toys weren’t especially keen on using doors.  

                “Aren’t we supposed to go up?” the girl’s voice piped up.  Anne found the doll looking straight up at her. 

                “Yes, I suppose we’d better try,” Anne relented, starting for the stairway with the girl right behind. “By the way, how did you get lost down here?” 

                There was a pause after her question, as if the girl hadn’t heard her ask, but when Anne looked down and met the girl’s shining eyes, she answered.