Thank You

Early the next day, I was woken up and put into an emergency vehicle. I couldn't help but feel anxious. I felt like I was stuck in suspense, waiting to see my siblings, or know if I'll ever see them again.

I kept thinking that they took them, because my mother abandoned them, or someone barged in the house and took or worse, murdered them. These thought consumed me and made me feel guilty. I was supposed to take care of them, especially when my mother wasn't there. They don't even know how to get up in the morning.

Of course, even if they were okay, this still wouldn't be over, for me at least. I knew I they would put me in both physical and mental therapy. I don't want to go, but I'm willing to try anything to make the nightmares to stop. Stop reminding me of what I'd faced, people I'd met, and things I'd seen. I wanted the pain deep inside me to disappear, forever.

"Are you nervous?" X suddenly asked, studying me. They let him ride in the ambulance with me, but they wouldn't let Tre. I guess it had to do with his position in law. I really wanted Tre to be in there with me though. He probably had to get through physical therapy too and wouldn't be able to visit me for a while.

"Nervous, no. I'm scared, anxious," I replied. "I have no idea what I'm going to go home too, or if I'll even be able to get home." Either way, it will never be the same.

"Either way, I'll be here," he assured me. I nodded in acceptance.

"I know."

The ambulance then stopped and someone opened the back soon after. X wheeled me out in the wheelchair they insisted that I stay in, during the transfer. A cool breeze grazed my bare skin, making me shiver.

"Just had to be this early," I mumbled, rubbing my arms as an attempt to keep warm. A few seconds later, I was in the warmth of the building. I was wheeled past doctors and nurses hurrying to assigned room. Most of them overlooked me, as it was natural for someone to be in a wheelchair while in a hospital. Others gave a friendly smile or wave, which I returned politely.

Once we got to the counter, X began introducing my information to the receptionist. She typed in a few things and told him my room number; 415. About 5 minutes later, we found the room on the 5th floor.

"Here's your new room," X said, wheeling me in. I observed it, and it looked pretty much like my other one, just a different color and the bathroom was on the opposite side.

"It looks like my old one," I said.

"I know," he replied, taking me towards the bed. "Why don't you get some sleep," he suggested, helping onto the mattress.

"I've been planning on it the whole ride here," I replied pulling the covers over me a little more. X smiled.

"I'm sure you have," he said, turning to leave. I wanted to stop him, but I knew this wasn't his city. He had to work back in Duluth. I didn't like it, but I understood.

"Bye X."

"Don't worry, I'll be back as soon as I can," he told me. I nodded and he closed the door. Too get more comfortable, I adjusted my position and went back to sleep.

***

A dark silhouette stood in the shadows of my room, just staring at me. I could make out the white in their eyes and hear their steady breaths. The room was deathly silent and I was sure they could here the sound of my heart beating wildly.