Wattpad Original
There is 1 more free part

Chapter Four

"Georgie." I knock on her door lightly the next morning, pushing it open with my fingers as I try to untangle my headphones.

She groans in response, blinking heavily from where she's sprawled out over the bed. "I'm going for a walk. Do you need anything?"

"It's the middle of the night," she complains, burrowing her head against her pillow. "Why are you walking now?"

"Georgie, it's 7:30 in the morning."

"That counts as the middle of the night on a Saturday."

I smile as she rolls onto her side, meeting my much livelier gaze. "Where are you gonna go?"

"I don't know, I thought I'd go around town, maybe look for a part-time job."

"We've only been here for two days." She yawns and stretches but doesn't get up from underneath her blankets. "Are you okay to go by yourself?"

"I'm sure I'll be fine," I tease her quietly, stepping out of her room, and she's already asleep again when I close her door.

I pull my sneakers over each of my feet and place my headphones in, jogging down the stairs to the outside street. It's a crisp morning and the sky is perfectly blue, a good distraction from what I witnessed last night at the fighting match.

Boston is busy and bustling all the time, so different from my little town back home. I have to give Dad credit; he didn't call me at all yesterday. Instead, he left almost ten messages until I replied, but that's what he's like. I know he's trying to give me as much 'space' as he can.

This is so new to me, all of this independence and adult responsibility that I've never really had to deal with before. I know it's new for Mom and Dad too. We used to do so much together and now we're hours apart.

I feel like a part-time job is a good option, especially once college starts. Dad's told me not to worry so many times, that he's more than happy to pay for everything and anything for me. I'm incredibly grateful to have such caring, kind parents, but at the same time, I'm not comfortable with them spending that much money on me.

The streets distract me from my thoughts. Kids, couples, and women in workout gear like me walk down the shared pathway. A few offer kind smiles that help me feel a little more at home than I have over the last few days.

Near the corner of a quieter street, the looming smell of rich coffee catches my attention and I immediately find myself turning in its direction. A quaint little shop with a brightly decorated exterior stands out brightly, MOLLY'S painted in bold across the top in capital letters.

What catches my attention most, however, is the small handwritten note in the corner of the window.

Staff wanted!

I find myself stepping inside and pulling the headphones from my ears, tucking them into my jacket pocket.

"Good morning, love." A kind-looking old lady smiles behind the counter. There are a few people scattered about the homely space and I already like the feel of the rustically designed coffee shop.

"Morning." I return her smile, stepping more closely to the counter. "Could I please have a hot chocolate?"

"Of course, sweetie." Her bright eyes examine my fingers that lift the small piece of paper from the window asking for new staff. "Are you looking for a job?"

"I thought I better, I've only recently moved here," I answer politely as she begins to make my drink.

"Me too, in a way. I only opened this store a few months ago."