Chapter 2

-Logan's POV-

"Hey man, how was your summer?" I asked my best friend Derek who I haven't seen the past two and a half months.

"Uh fine, yours?" He seemed less interested in what I said, but that was normal for him.

"Okay." 

"Cool." We continued walking down the hallway, high fiving and saying 'hey' to people we haven't seen in a while. Though I missed everyone, I wasn't too thrilled to be back.

As we walked I saw some unfamiliar faces as well. It could of been the new nineth graders, but some of them looked older, which must of sucked. I don't know what I'd do if I had to start in a whole new school under the pressure of having to make new friends. Though I have a reputation of being 'cool', it's really only because I'm friends with Derek. Most of our friends were all fake anyways.

There was one girl inparticular I didn't recognize, but she was really pretty. I wasn't sure if she was in my grade, (eleventh) or not, but I didn't care. She had dark brown hair which was carelessly put up in a pony tail, but it still looked good on her. She was with another girl, who I did know, Miley. I didn't know much about Miley, but I've heard she was pretty crazy, whatever that means. 

"Oh god, keep walking." Derek grabbed a hold of my jacket and started walking faster. 

"Whoa why?" I questioned him, I wasn't done looking at that girl, like I said, she was pretty.

"My step-sister is over there, and I don't want anything to do with her, so please, let's just move faster, hopefully she won't notice us."

"Wait a minute, you have a step-sister...and you never told me this?" 

Derek shrugged and gave me a nervous smile. "Let's just say my summer was very eventful."

I wasn't sure if I were mad at him for not mentioning it to me sooner but then I realized I haven't been completely open with him either. He wasn't emotional at all, it was as if he had no feelings, unless they were about girls. Due to all that, I haven't told him anything that's been going on in my life.

"Oh...wait, who is it?"

Derek turned around and quickly pointed to the girl I found attractive about five seconds ago. "She's new here."

"Oh, I didn't even notice here there." I lied. "What's her name?"

"Don't worry, I didn't notice her either at the wedding." I think he was joking. "Why do you care?"

"I don't, it just felt polite to ask."

"Since when are you polite?" He laughed.

I shrugged and fake laughed to hide the fact that I was offended. "True, so are you not going to tell me her name?"

"It's Selena."

"That's a cute name."

"Huh?"

"Uh, nothing."

He gave me an odd look for a couple seconds before changing the topic. "So you're trying out for the hockey team this year right?"

I felt relieved he didn't question me, however the thought of the hockey team completely slipped my mind over the summer. "Uhhhh, maybe."

"What do you mean, maybe?"  He raised an eyebrow.

"Not sure if I'll have time for it."

"What could you possibly have to do?"

"You know...stuff."

"You've been acting kind of weird lately, you alright?" It was the first time in years Derek was actually concerned about me. I wasn't sure if I should take this opportunity to vent to him, or just leave it alone. I chose to leave it alone.