Chapter 1: Ruined Life

The warm rays of golden sunshine burned the Egyptian lands, as the sky above them was clear, cloudless and colored in light shade of blue. It was just another day in lives of different people. Despite the almost unbearably hot temperature, the citizens continued with their work, causing the streets to be crowded and noisy - as always. They shouted, whispered and sang, both inside, in the safety of their own homes and outside, out on the streets. Some of them tried to sell their products - food, plates or the old objects which they no longer used in their daily life, while some of them spent their time gambling for money and gold, or drinking alcohol which they were able to buy or even steal.

Among all these people, there was also a group of young girls, walking through the crowd slowly as they followed the middle aged man. The man who was leading these young women, Abu, was rather known in the area, as an another gambler and alcohol addict, wealthier than other citizens. He walked through the crowds with pride and self-confidence, as everyone moved out of the way so he could pass. He wore simple looking white robe, but he had golden rings on his thick fingers, and a golden necklace, which, at the first glance, seemed heavy. Wearing many jewels was one of his ways of seeking attention from the common citizens, who, he hoped, would envy him. With his whip in his right hand, he turned around to look at the girls frowning, before a satisfied smirk found it's way to his features. He was more than happy to be the one to buy such nice looking young women, as he believed that they will bring him a lot of money and success.
Those girls walked in the line, right behind Abu, silent and scared. They wore simple white dresses that reached their knees, but they were ripped on several spots and dirty. Their skin was covered in bruises and cuts, and the metal chains were attached to their ankles, allowing everyone to realize that they were slaves.
A certain girl followed the others, her head lowered as she watched the thirsty sand beneath her feet. It burned her bare skin, making it painful for her to walk, but she continued, knowing that she was not allowed to hesitate. Dry, hot breeze occasionally caressed her sore skin, playing with her shiny, yet messy and dirty hair. She breathed softly, feeling the sweat run down her face and body. She slowly opened her mouth, her chapped lips parting, as she longed for at least one drop of water, but as soon as she exhaled, she closed her dry mouth once again, well aware that her thirst will not be satisfied any time soon.

''Oh, mother, why are these girls wearing chains?'' loud, child's voice filled with curiosity caught Y/N's attention, as she allowed herself to glance at the side just a little bit, until she was able to see a small, delicate looking young girl, gripping the older woman's hand tightly. The woman immediately hushed the child, before replying in a quiet tone, yet still loud enough for Y/N to hear,
''They wear those chains because they are slaves.'' The woman replied, sighing heavily, as if immediately regretting the words that left her mouth.

Y/N blinked, looking back down at her feet, and watching the shiny metal chains move with each step she took. If this was the first time she heard people saying such things, the girl's heart would probably shatter into pieces, however, she was used to hearing all sorts of insults leave people's mouths. She allowed her mind to go back into the past and meet the old memories of her once peaceful life. She used to be a free, happy child, before being sold to the people who were under the sweet, seductive spell of gold and power. Those people put her in the seemingly unbreakable chains, only to sell and buy her over and over again. The girl narrowed her eyes, before blinking slowly, letting herself forget about her memories.

Suddenly, Y/N stopped walking, as the girl in front of her, whom she didn't even meet yet, tripped on her own chains and fell down onto the warm ground.
''What do you think you are doing?! Get back on your feet right now, you useless trash!'' Abu shouted, furious, approaching the terrified girl, and grabbing her arm tightly, only to bring her back onto her feet forcefully. She lowered her head immediately, but only to cry out in pain as Abu pulled on her long, dark hair.
''Listen, honey...'' Abu suddenly whispered, only to yell once again, ''If you value your pitiful life even one bit, you will behave!! You heard that? You will behave!'' He yelled, pushing her back onto the ground. Upon seeing the younger girl fall back, Y/N reached her hand out, trying to help her to get up, but as a result, she only felt a sharp pain on her face, as Abu's big hand hit her cheek with force. Y/N took a step back, barely managing to keep herself on her feet after that hit.
''You! Don't you even think about helping her, unless you want to be the next one to get punished!'' Abu threatened, holding out his whip and hitting the ground with it once, letting the girls know that he will show no mercy.
With that, the man walked back in front of the girls, ordering them to get going once again.

Y/N placed her hand on her, now red cheek, only to look down once again, not listening to the silent whispers of people around her. Feeling disgusted and ashamed of herself, she continued to walk after the girls, while trying to ignore the pain in her entire body.