Chapter Fifteen ⌔ Don't Go

Chapter Fifteen Don't Go

My heart dropped and I had no idea where it fell. I felt something cold trickle into me and then I couldn't feel anything afterwards. Numbness seeped into me, keeping my heartbeat controlled and my senses dull. It also reduced the activity amount in my brain.

I stared blankly at the doctor as Lisa doubled over and heaved, sounding like she would throw up. She didn't, though. Instead, she shakily sat down on one of the cold plastic chairs and started crying heavily. Eric stood beside her, his eyes wide and his mouth open, almost as if he couldn't believe what the doctor said.

I let my mind replay over and over again what the doctor said. David's cancer was back.

Cancer?

David? What type of cancer? No!

He had cancer to begin with and he knew it all along? He'd been sick for the past few days and let me think that something was wrong with Eric?

He knew. David knew about his condition and he didn't tell me.

How... dare he?

"We'll stabilize him and he'll go home for tonight only but tomorrow morning we're transferring him into the other hospital." The doctor's voice was cool and calm, making me wonder how he managed it. Couldn't he feel the world shaking? Couldn't he see the colours dimming? Couldn't he feel the utter destruction within his body?

Was it just me?

I didn't know what it was, but I couldn't find any emotions in my body. The numbness was strong and did its job. And for that, I was glad. After speaking quietly to David's parents, the doctor left. We all stayed in the waiting room for another hour , none of us moving from our positions. Lisa's tears had dried up and she'd stopped sniffling. She sat on the plastic chairs, her eyes red and her head on Eric's shoulder. Eric's arm was around her, constantly rubbing her arm.

Peter sat across the room from them and kept his eyes on the floor. It surprised me that he was here at all; he had just recently met the Hale family. I sat a good distance away from everybody, sitting as far as the small waiting room would allow. I would curl my hands into fists and then uncurl them.

Curl.

The doctor finally came back into the room, looking a little tired but with a more positive air about him.

Uncurl.

"We've given him medicine and stabilized him enough. He's just taking a shot so if you want to see him, you can follow me," the doctor said, kindly. He waved his arm towards the exit of the waiting room. Everyone got up and started moving. I saw myself move but I couldn't feel it.

Again, that strange sensation of seeing and not feeling.

We reached David's room and peeked in through the little window at the door. He was sitting on the cot, shirtless and with a bunch of wires taped to his chest and a needle sticking out of his arm. His eyes looked a little tired but otherwise, his color was coming back and he looked better than a few hours ago. His eyes were on the needle in his arm; he clearly didn't see us yet.

"I will leave you all alone now. After he's taken his shot, he is permitted to leave the hospital premises. He's to be taken to Princess Margaret's hospital tomorrow morning at eight. They will do a check up on him and from there, we will see what happens." The doctor's voice was low and quiet as he said this to Eric and Lisa. Peter's eyes flickered to meet mine and then quickly away when I raised my eyebrow at him.