Epilogue

The Field of Cormallen, a year later.

Swallows dived and skimmed across the clearing; the setting sun turned them into black specks and their high, twittering call filled the air. Chasing insects for their evening meal, they were oblivious of the colourful assembly below them.

I smiled to myself. The courtiers of Gondor were not so very different - moving in a complicated dance of greeting and bowing and equally bent on filling their bellies. Or at least the throng was thickest amongst the eaves of the wood, where great pavilions had been set up for the farewell dinner, holding long tables with food and drink.

An arm slipped around my waist. "The festivities are even more lavish and crowded than last year," my husband grumbled. "If I have to be polite to one more noble who fills my ears with boring tales of hunting, I will jump in the river."

I chuckled and leant back against him. "It adds to their importance, to be seen to be on friendly terms with the famous King of Rohan."

Éomer snorted. "At least they have stopped throwing their daughters at me. For that alone I will be eternally grateful to you."

"Really? In that case I might have to consider how you can repay me," I teased him.

He pulled me closer against his side. "I will come up with something," he murmured in my ear and breathed a kiss on my temple. His skilful fingers traced the gold necklace he had given me as an engagement present and which I had worn ever since. My family thought the delicate shapes were furled roses, but I recognized cabbages when I saw them.

I caught the eye of a portly matron regarding me with disapproval written all over her heavily painted features. But then Lady Aeves had never approved of my wild ways anyway, and in addition I had ruined her matrimonial plans for her youngest daughter by so selfishly marrying the King of Rohan myself.

"We're scandalizing the court of Gondor," I whispered to Éomer.

"But I haven't even kissed you properly yet," he complained.

Briefly I considered giving in to temptation - after all my reputation here was probably in the gutters anyway - but I did not want to distress Father any further. My escapade the year before had caused quite a few white hairs.

"Father wouldn't like it," I reminded Éomer. I did not need to add that we owed him quite a lot for being so reasonable at having his daughter abducted.

Éomer gave an exaggerated sigh. "And what about your poor husband?"

"He will just have to wait."

"Lately I seem to spend a lot of time waiting," Éomer said, but relaxed his grip reluctantly. "Why, it took me half a year cooling my heels in Meduseld to gain my wife!"

I snorted. "It's traditional for grooms not to see their brides until the wedding day. And anyway, six months' engagement is scandalously hurried by Gondorian standards. Most women take longer than that just to settle on their wedding dress."

"I would have preferred six days."

We grinned at each other, both remembering my father's face when Éomer had told him as much. It had taken a fair amount of persuasion on my part to assure Father that indeed nothing inappropriate had happened between us that day. And even more persuasion to let us marry without the traditional waiting period of a year. Éomer of course claimed that it had been the alluring prospect of having me off his hands and in the responsibility of a husband, which had swayed my father in the end!

I looked up at Éomer. "I seem to remember that you told me on our wedding night that some things are worth waiting for."

"So they are," he said, suddenly serious. "And I've waited many years for you to enter into my life...and turn it upside down."