Ch 3: Mad Science

(Red is still unconscious, his memories flowing even more quickly through his mind)

***

It wasn't so bad. If anything, it was better than the human lab. At least here he could properly learn from a well-known avian scientist. A mad scientist, but a scientist never-the-less. And learn he did. The owl might have been a terror to his underlings, but once the squirrel had proven to be an equally-capable scientist himself, the pair often spent their days hatching evil schemes, designing and engineering ingenious devices in the lab, and discussing philosophy. The Count had a passion for philosophy.

***

Red knew exactly where the little penguin was hiding. Silly flightless birds... There were cameras hidden all over the warehouse. Still, this gave him a chance to play a little before he rejoined Victor in the main control room - with the little penguin as his prisoner, of course.

***

A few years later, Red found himself venturing out on his own as an evil scientist. Of course, being known as an evil scientist meant you'd likely have to dodge the penguin military in whatever country you happened to be in. For birds that were supposed to only live in Southern Hemisphere, they sure got around well.

He was used to Super Secret Agent Dylan and his little up-and-coming protégé, Nigel, chasing his tail. Agent Dylan was The Count's nemesis, after all. Their relationship was likely more than just evil villain and super spy, considering the looks the two old birds gave one another when they thought Nigel and Red weren't looking. But ever since Red had decided to return to American, he'd found other groups of penguins trying to counter his evil schemes.

One group in particular had his attention. Their weapon's expert, Buck Rockgut, was just too much fun to tease.

***

After Count Victor von Sova's retirement, Red found himself Penguin Enemy Number One. It made life interesting for the rodent now known to the world as 'The Red Squirrel.'

***

Run, Dash, Run, Dash, Hide, Dash!

~His team gets offed in a freak accident, and suddenly Buck's gone rogue. Stupid penguin became a bounty hunter and now he's after me!~

***

"You're new to Central Park, aren't you?" The brown-furred squirrel cocked his head to the side and smiled at the eye-patch-wearing squirrel next to him in the tree.

"Not really. I've just been gone a very long time." Red barely paid any attention to the young squirrel. After all, Buck was still hot on his tail. ~I am getting so tired of all this running. Maybe if I stay put and hide for a while, then the penguin will finally give up and leave me alone~

***

"I've done it. I've finally invented a machine that will turn me into one of those hairless apes. Now I can get my REVENGE!"

***

"Mr. Red. I have a call on line one for you," the secretary's silky voice came through the phone's speaker.

A tall businessman with copper-red hair swiveled his chair away from the wall-to-wall window of his top floor office to eye the phone with his single, good eye.

"Thank you, Sally. Please send up a cappuccino and an acorn tart," the man requested, his smooth, Russian-accent filling the nearly-empty room.

"Right away, sir."

***

"World-renowned businessman and inventor, Mr. Red, will be at the Central Park Zoo today with New York's Parks Commissioner, Pervis McSlade. Mr. Red has made countless donations to improve and protect Central Park," the grey-haired anchorman adjusted his notes and smiled at the camera.

"Rich, successful, an animal-rights activist, AND SINGLE? He's a dream come true, ladies." Bonnie Chang's next words were interrupted as the TV shut off with the click of a button.

"Ah, human women. A shame I have no interest in the female gender." Mr. Red adjusted his tie in the mirror and made his way out of his penthouse suite. It wouldn't do to be late, especially if he wanted to check out the Zoo's new penguin exhibit.

***

"They thought Fred was The Red Squirrel? How silly. But they were kind enough to take care of Buck Rockgut for me. Now I can move around freely without him on my tail," the crimson-furred squirrel chuckled from deep within his secret lair.

***

"What's this? Agent Nigel, all grown up and looking rather dashing, if I must say so myself. He tracked me all the way to Central Park? I'm flattered. And best of all, those silly penguins are convinced he's nothing more than little Private's bumbling uncle. This is going to be quite amusing."

***

"Special Agent Buck Rockgut is my brain-washed sleeper agent. Perfect. I can get those penguin commandos back for all the trouble they caused me," The Red Squirrel chuckled, rubbing his paws together in anticipation.

***

"Just as soon as I bring down penguin enemy number 2, White Widow!" Buck announced.

~You have got to be kidding me! How did they manage to foil my evil plan AND capture me?!~

"She's in... NewFakePlacesBurg," Private lied.

~Buck can't possibly fall for it again...~

"GWAK!"

~Never mind. He's still an idiot~

***

~Now, while those two are arguing, I can slip away!~

***

~Water? So dark. So wet... Can't breathe...~

***

~It's warm. Smells interesting. Fishy, spicy, musky - familiar~