Chapter 2

"Lad, are you alright? Nigel!"

Dylan's voice woke Nigel from his restless sleep. The older penguin helped him to his feet and steadied him when he swayed. His body still felt weakened from whatever drug the squirrel had slipped into the muffins.

"Ah, so your little apprentice is finally awake. Just in time for the show," a deep voice swept through the room. The penguins turned their attention to the giant, grey owl clicking his way across the floor on his taloned feet.

"Red, this is Super Secret Agent Dylan and his fluffy little apprentice." The Count waved a wing in the direction of the cage. The copper-furred squirrel next to him smirked at the birds, his perfectly-aligned buck teeth hanging over his lower lip.

"Actually, Victor, we've met. This is Nigel, spy-in-training. If you look up 'Gullible' in the dictionary, you'll find his picture," Red commented, his lovely tail sweeping behind him in amusement.

Dylan patted his young apprentice on the back and glared at the pair through the iron bars of the cage.

"And now, on to the main event. Red, if you would be so kind," the owl commented, gesturing to his apprentice.

Nigel watched the squirrel dart across the warehouse floor until he reached a computer console in the middle of the room. Sharp claws tapped at the colored buttons without pause, the rodent's single eye focused entirely on the task at hand.

A 'whirring' noise filled the air as a trapdoor in the center of the room began to slide apart. Before the stunned eyes of the penguins, a grey rocket began to emerge. It soon towered over them, the tip stopping mere inches from the ceiling.

"For years, I struggled to develop the most terrifying weapon this world had ever seen. A device that would cloud the skies until day became eternal night. And now, with the expertise of my new apprentice, The Temhota Ray is finally complete! I will plunge the world into utter darkness and the humans shall know true fear!" The count's evil chuckle echoed the room.

Unnoticed, Nigel had stepped softly to the door of the cage the moment the owl began his evil monologuing. The bird of prey had been completely focused on impressing Agent Dylan, which gave the agent-in-training time to subtly unlock the door with his hidden lock picks. Never leave the base without them, his mentor had advised.

Moments later, the owl turned away from the cage, and spread his wings to gesture widely at the rocket.

"Nigel, now!" Agent Dylan ordered.

The penguin dove out of the cage and sprang into action. The mice scattered like – well, mice. Agent Dylan went flipper to wing against his feathered foe, leaving Nigel to confront the crimson-furred scientist.

"Step away from the control panel, Red," the young agent warned, slipping into a martial arts stance. The squirrel returned his words with a silky glance, his tail swishing erotically behind him as he leaned against the computer console.

"Or what, Agent Nigel?" the mammal asked, his gaze running up and down the penguin's body suggestively.

"Or..." Nigel paused, trying to keep his heart rate under control at the squirrel's obvious interest. "Or I will make you step away."

"By all means," the one-eyed scientist purred, not moving from his spot. "Make me."

The taunt did not go unnoticed. It shivered up the penguin's spin as he reluctantly threw the first punch. The squirrel met his attacks with the grace of a dancer. His lean body twisted and weaved in and out of Nigel's reach. The petite creature's karate-like counterattacks were surprisingly strong, betraying the muscle in his thin arms.

Nigel literally found himself falling head over heels for the young mammal when a luxurious red tail swept him off his feet. Recovering quickly, the penguin rolled to the side, avoiding a near-blow to the gut.

Leaping to his feet, the agent-in-training quickly went on the offensive. The squirrel smoothly dodged his wing attacks, before hurdling himself against Nigel's ivory chest. The pair landed in a ball of punches and kicks, each attempting to subdue the other.

Nigel soon lost track of the time. It was as if the entire world revolved around crimson fur and a single golden eye. When their combined strength and stamina finally came to an end, the spy found himself flat on the ground with his enemy sitting on his chest.

An ominous beeping caught their attention, moments before the Count shouted, "RETREAT!"

Red grinned down at the young penguin pinned beneath him. "You fight well, Agent Nigel. I look forward to meeting you again. Do svidaniya." The mammal took advantage of the chaos to press a quick kiss to the penguin's startled beak. Before the penguin could protest, the scarlet-furred mammal was already darting across the factory floor with the mice scattering around him.

Agent Dylan grabbed his protege and rushed him out of the factory as the bomb counted down.

3

2

1

B O O M !

***

"Dylan... I'm sorry," Nigel commented, breaking the silence that had stretched between them as they watched the smoke billowing from their enemy's former hideout.

"For what, my boy?"

"I let myself get distracted... twice," Nigel admitted, inwardly worried that he'd be demoted after this failed mission.

"I'll let you in on a little secret. There isn't one agent who hasn't been distracted by a villain. They're evil, not stupid. Why, when I was a lad, Victor and I..."

"Yes, yes, I get it. You really don't need to give me the details," the younger penguin squawked, his cheeks reddening at the thought.

Agent Dylan just laughed at his words, before gesturing for Nigel to follow him. "I say, the Count's new apprentice has a quite a pretty red tail. It would certainly be enough to catch any penguin's attention. Why, if I was your age..."

Nigel felt his face getting hotter at the mention of the squirrel's most attractive attribute. The last thing he wanted to be thinking of was his mentor being attracted to Red in any way. Ew. That was just... ew!

"Dylan!"

***

Note: Sova is the pronunciation of coba (Owl in Russian)

Note 2: Special thanks to The Dimensional Princess for reminding me to update this fic. I had most of it written, but still had to fill in a few missing pieces. I hope you enjoyed part 2!

Yes, I know I'm reusing the rocket from the TV series, but I do have a reason for that. Find out more in "Meet Mr. Red."