Silver

(UNEDITED)

I looked down to the river below, watching as a herd of deer drank water. A fawn caught my eyes. It was drinking from its mother as she kept close to the herd. Safety after all came in numbers. But they were not safe - the wolves hidden behind the tree line trying to get as close as they could-stealthily, waiting for the perfect moment to strike were not providing them safety. Quite the opposite. Safety was just an illusion.

I sat on the cliff watching this mesmerizing show of predation unfold below. It was very quite one moment and the next chaos erupted. One wolf got excited and jumped out too soon. Every deer scrambled to get away from the wolves and ran to the opposite side. Not knowing that they ran away from chasers and were running straight towards the ambush.

My stomach growled. I couldn't look any longer. Hunting was fun, exciting but seeing it always reminded me of things I was not allowed to do; I couldn't go on a pack hunt; no letting my wolf loose on a pack run.

Then everybody started to follow the example. Nobody in my pack invited me to their parties, get together. I wouldn't have gone anyway. But the choice should have been mine, just as it was of every other member of the pack.

I got up and started towards the pack house. I didn't want to start longing for my wolf. I had fucking lost her too. One of the many things that had been snatched away from me.

My stomach growled again reminding me that I hadn't eaten this morning.
Alpha Cade had untied me and left me at the cliff while he went off to set his plan in motion. The plan he refused to tell me about because apparently I would just butt in his plan. Whatever he meant!

"Avery!" Nate. Just fucking great. This day couldn't turn out any more perfect. His tone suggested that he wanted answers and won't accept any horse crap that I normally fed everyone.

Why does it feel that today is confrontation day in Lunar Pack?

He was leaning against a tree, eyeing me angrily.

"You still got something to say after the stunt you pulled?"

"You talked bad about Alpha." His nostrils flared. He was losing it yet again.

"So what? That doesn't give you the right to choke me."

"It was my wolf. You didn't respect his Alpha male. And I didn't know you were our Luna. I would have never touched you." He ran a hand through his hair angrily. "Goddess knows how much mates quarrel. I just didn't know."

"Then why are you pissing on me right now."

His lips quirked upwards slightly as he said, "What? Piss? You really go all out with your words, don't you?"

"Why are you being hormonal Nate? One moment you blow like a casket of oil and the next you are smiling at me. A human female on her monthly isn't this quick."

"I am . . . ,okay-was angry at you until 2 seconds ago. But you are so serious it is funny most of the times."

This boy really liked to test my patience. "And why were you angry? Care to explain."

"You lied to me. You said your mate had died." There was something shining in his eyes. Something very dangerous. I didn't want to acknowledge it. I had seen this look on his face before, when I first told him about my mate's death in the infirmary.

"Nate, where is your mate?"

His face dropped. Eyes wide as saucer, his mouth opened and closed like a fish.

"Tell me."

He was shaken. "How did you know?"

"Just tell me." I felt my heart beat wildly. Nothing should have happened, goddess, please. He is a child.