Part 23

Beatrice looked conflicted, I knew she wanted to help but she was also battling the urge to finish what David had started. I was too; the monster in me loved the sight of Sarah on the ground, barely conscious and bleeding. Easy pickings.

"Jade" Jamie's voice entered my head, distracting me from the bloodlust. "You can do this come on."

Steeling myself I nodded. "Beatrice, help the guys put David back in the trailer. Make sure he can't escape if he wakes up, tie him up if you have to." That would get the three of them out of the way of temptation at least. I knew Chris would be especially suffering, and I had never seen Felix demonstrate anything more than limited control. It would be better for them to stay with David.

With the way cleared, Jamie hurried towards Sarah and helped her as she tried to stand. She appeared to be past screaming. Her face was a silent mask of horror and shock and her breath was coming in short gasps.

"We'll take her in the tent," he said, "It's too cold out here."

I agreed, I didn't want her to go into medical shock. I held the tent door open as Jamie half carried her through and gently put her down in one of the chairs. Leaving them I rifled through the items Beatrice had left at the side until I found a small green box.

"First aid kit." I said to Jamie. He held out his hand for me to pass it to him.

I stood a little way behind him, not breathing as he checked her wounds and began bandaging her up. "It's not as bad as it looks," He said reassuringly, "you have a couple of small wounds on your neck, but they are very narrow and not too deep. I have stopped the bleeding already. There might be quite a lot of bruising though."

"Beatrice, if you can, could you find some ice?" I called, knowing she would hear me from the trailer. "Ice will help." I said to Sarah.

"How are you feeling?" Jamie asked her. She blinked and stared at him, seeming confused. "Would you like us to take you to the hospital?" He asked her slowly, seeming a little worried. "Did you hit your head?"

She blinked again and then slowly shook her head. "No... I will be ok." Her voice came out small and frightened, it was a long way from the cool and confident presenter I had met earlier.

I felt a lot clearer headed now that she had been bandaged up and there was no longer fresh blood flowing in front of me. Although, I could still smell its lingering scent. I took a step forward, stopping immediately when Sarah flinched away from me.

"It's ok," I told her soothingly, "I am not going to hurt you." She stared at me with wide eyes, analysing my every movement. I crouched down to her sitting level slowly, not wanting to loom over her. "Do you understand what happened?"

She swallowed, taking a moment to speak. "I... I opened the door... it was so fast I didn't see him coming at all. Suddenly I was falling and then pain and then umm..." She blushed a little; I knew she was remembering the effect of the endorphins produced by David's fangs. "I still feel a little woozy now."

I nodded, "That'll be the endorphins and the blood loss. I am sorry I couldn't get him off quicker."

"Why-?" She stuttered a little, "Why did he do that? I don't understand, I thought you were more... controlled."

"You have my most sincere apologies" I told her, "I cannot say being around a vampire is ever completely safe..." Her heart rate sped up as she recognised the full danger, "However... it is true we are not usually like that. David is not himself at the moment. When we were in the facility, he was put under torture which has quite literally driven him out of his mind. He is reduced to the very basic qualities of a vampire, without any of the humanity to temper him. All he knows right now is pain and hunger. There is no thought, no higher emotion behind it."