Chapter Three

"Lieutenant General Jourdant Tithers. Do you know the strings I had to pull to get you this leave?"

"No, sir."

"My request to send you home, especially for this individual's funeral, looks suspicious after all this time." The only sound in the room following such a statement was him moving papers around on his desk. Not even the ticking of a clock disturbed the silence. He liked to keep his underlings in suspense and on edge. He continued to shuffle the papers on his desk. Pretending, no doubt, to be thinking of what he's going to say next but we'd been working together for too long for me to be fooled by his behavior. The General was far too brilliant to not have this whole conversation mapped out before he even called me in his office. 

I stoically watched him. I knew that if I moved or even blinked he'd wait even longer before breaking the news to me. He only pulled one of these games when it was bad news and gauging from his behavioral tactics, I wasn't going to like it.

The General abruptly stopped messing with the papers on his desk and looked me straight on. He intently watched me for a few seconds before dropping the bomb on me.

"You didn't even request time off for your father's funeral."

"No, sir." I didn't even flinch. I'd have pat myself on the back if it had been anyone else but you couldn't get anything past the General. I know best out of all.

"Why?"

I bet he's been wondering that since it happened and It's such a loaded question; for so simple a question. The only way to answer it is with, of course, a simple answer. One he won't be suspicious of.

Without any hesitation I reply, "I don't and can't mourn the loss of a traitor."

Silence. He leans back in his chair watching and eyeing me like he was a starving man and I was a full course buffet. He is planning something. I can feel it in my gut.

"So you are aware of his..." The General, turning his head to appear as though he was looking out the window but I saw his eyes quickly dart back at me to no doubt catch my reaction, "...criminal activities?"

"Yes, sir." I will not be any more forth coming than he is being and he knows it.

Not even glancing at me or the papers on his desk that so interested him not even five seconds earlier, he monotonously informs me of his current plans for me, "I had to cover your suspicious request in the disguise of a mission to uncover which female is The One. Have you heard of the silly prophecy?"

"Yes, sir. An old wives tale."

"Well, not to everyone. Lord Damien believes and since he believes so do we. Is that clear?"

"Yes, sir."

"Lord Damian feels he has successfully narrowed it down to four but needs an ear closer to them to weed out the girl. This has been weighing heavily on our Lord's mind and he feels you are the best one to carry it out. It's imperative he gets the correct one."

The General hasn't moved once since leaning back in his chair yet he is still watching me intensely through the corner of his eyes making sure he has my complete attention.

"To prevent any emotional involvement on your part you will be working with our best field officer, Ginnefer Brandint."

I had to keep myself from reacting to that name. My gut instincts, once more are right on target. I hadn't heard that name in a little over 10 years. Ever since...I slam the doors on that thought and shove the memories deeper than they were. I will  not think about it. I simply refuse to. Of all the people! Why her? She knew too much as it was.

"Yes, sir."

"Very good." He pulls four files from his secret cabinet hidden in the wood work of his desk and throws them on top of the clutter. I grab the folders and glance at the four names on them. My stomach drops. No. It couldn't be.

"As you can see, I did not just pick Officer Brandint because of her...skills." I look back up at him. I am barely registering what he's saying at this point.  If a few moments ago he hadn't been fiddling with a pen on his desk he would have seen the shock plastered all over my face. My cover would have been blown. Saved by a lousy pen. Snap out of it, Jourdant!

"She is believed to be one of the four." I nod my head in acknowledgement. Thankfully he is not expecting an answer to his statement because I still had not found my voice. "She's a cold one. You shouldn't have any problems, not getting involved with her. Last I heard she killed her lover. Something about another woman." Again I just nod my head.

"You will go to this funeral and you two will go as a pretend engaged couple allowing you entrance in to all the places you will need to go. Are there any questions?"

Cool. Calm. Collected. If I think it long enough, I can be it. 

"No, sir."

"Excellent. I expect you to be back here in my office, in three weeks with the girl in tow. Is that understood, Lieutenant?"

"Yes, sir."

"Get out of my office. Your mission started 15 minutes ago." And with that parting comment, I turn and leave the room. The files feel as though they are burning a hole in my side. This has got to be the hardest mission I will ever have to accomplish. I think I'd rather be patrolling the largest dump site mid-afternoon on the hottest day of the year than see this through.

Just think revenge, Jourdant. Revenge.

It'll definitely all be worth it.