Sikhism

Prayers from Sikhism

What efforts am I to make by which the superstition of the mind be dissolved and I may cross over the ocean of fear?

I have heard the Guru’s instructions, and yet the wisdom hath not come.

I go on stuffing my stomach like a beast.

O Lord, I invoke Thy duty of forgiveness;

then shall I, the sinner, be saved, prayeth Nanak.

Baptism

When Sikh boys and girls are fourteen, they may be initiated into full membership of the Khalsa, known as baptism. The initiation ceremony is known as Amrit Panchar. Sikhs believe that the initiation ceremony completely changes a person’s life, so that from then on they live a new and blessed life. The ceremony is always performed in the presence of the Granth Sahib. The ceremony is conducted by five men who are themselves baptised and initiated. The five men are called Panj Pyare, the Five Beloved Sikhs. The only people present at the ceremony are the persons to be initiated, the Panj Pyare, and the Granthi. The principles of the Sikh faith are explained to the new members. The Panj Pyare prepare the Amrit and five different prayers are said during the preparation. The person to be initiated then drinks the Amrit five times.

Seva

All of the Sikh temples or Gurudwaras run regular free community kitchens, call Langars, for the needy and also for Pilgrims. A special langar is held on Guru Nanak’s Birthday. These langars do not differentiate between the rich and poor or between castes and creeds; thus they promote equality and brotherhood among all men.

Word of the Shabad

Amrit banee gur kee meethee

The Nectar of the Guru’s Bani is very sweet.

Rare are the Gurmukhs who see and taste it.

The Divine Light dawns within, and the supreme essence is found. In the True Court, the Word of the Shabad vibrates. ||1||

I am a sacrifice, my soul is a sacrifice, to those who focus their consciousness on the Guru’s Feet.

The True Guru is the True Pool of Nectar; bathing in it, the mind is washed clean of all filth. ||1||Pause||

Rare are those who, by Guru’s Grace, focus their consciousness on You.

Praising You, I am never satisfied; such is the hunger I feel for the True Name. ||2||

I see only the One, and no other.

By Guru’s Grace, I drink in the Ambrosial Nectar.

My thirst is quenched by the Word of the Guru’s Shabad; I am absorbed in intuitive peace and poise. ||3||

The Priceless Jewel is discarded like straw;

The blind self-willed manmukhs are attached to the love of duality.

Your limits, O True Lord, are not known to anyone.

As they plant, so do they harvest. They shall not obtain peace, even in their dreams.

Those who are blessed with His Mercy find the Lord.

The Word of the Guru’s Shabad abides in the mind.

Night and day, they remain in the Fear of God; conquering their fears, their doubts are dispelled. ||5||

Dispelling their doubts, they find a lasting peace.

By Guru’s Grace, the supreme status is attained.

Deep within, they are pure, and their words are pure as well; intuitively, they sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord. ||6||